Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem is really frustrating, when i downshift to stop coming to an intersection the bike dies every signal time. Sometimes even while I'm coasting i'd hold down the clutch and the engine would die.

what i've done,
emptied the tank of the old fuel it stood with and burned off the rest adding a carburetor cleaner with new fuel. Problem still occurring i took apart the carburetor to find any dirt, it was completely clean, took off the side petcock to check if it is functioning properly nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

really not sure whats going on, if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be a great help.

·
Super Moderator
12,603 Posts
This problem is really frustrating, when i downshift to stop coming to an intersection the bike dies every signal time. Sometimes even while I'm coasting i'd hold down the clutch and the engine would die.
The first rule is: Don't overlook the obvious. Maybe your idle speed adjustment screw (throttle stop) has worked itself loose and your idle speed is simply WAY too low. :bluethum:

How about the air box/air filter; is it stock and in good condition ??

The idle mixture screws are all present, aren't they ??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well actually i've checked the tank vaccum by opening the tank and trying to ride it, didn't help.

I've been messing around with the idle screw quite a bit trying to get it not to stall but one thing i did notice when i get the idle to 1500 and give it some throttle it would stay at 3500, i'm not sure if that's normal or not.

I've looked at the airbox and air filter everything is stock and seems normal.

As far as idle mixture screws, honestly im not sure what you mean.

The pilot jet, i'm assuming thats one of the three jets in the carb, i've taken all of that apart and everything looks clean, unless im missing something.

·
Super Moderator
12,603 Posts
when i get the idle to 1500 and give it some throttle it would stay at 3500, i'm not sure if that's normal or not.

As far as idle mixture screws, honestly im not sure what you mean.

The pilot jet, i'm assuming thats one of the three jets in the carb, i've taken all of that apart and everything looks clean, unless im missing something.
No that's not normal. Something is definitely amiss.

Not being familiar with that particular model, I probably can't help......but I do find it a little strange that you seem to know what a pilot jet is but not the mixture screw that goes along with it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Just looking at the jets in a carb will usually not do you much good, if there is enough blockage that you can see it with the naked eye the bike isn't even going to start, I have had pilot jets out & sprayed through them with carb cleaner thinking that would clean them and the problem didn't go away till after I replaced with new.

Locating the idle mixture screw can sometimes be a problem because the makers don't want every Tom, Dick, and Harley to be messing with them, so it is usually necessary to drill out the access to them.

If the engine is stalling when you pull the clutch in, it might be a problem with the interlock in the clutch that keeps the bike from starting unless the clutch lever is pulled in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really don't know much about names of things all i know is what i've been reading on forums. After Rickster described the mixture screw, i recall reading something about them.

About the clutch, im hesitant to think thats the problem because there have been moments where i've found neutral while coasting and the engine still died.

what im thinking is i'll rejet the carbs and see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
The idle mixture circuit scew is usually located under a small blocking cap that has to be carefully removed to access the jet below. Most drill a small hole with a two to three mm drill bit marked with tape so you only drill the cap and not the jet screw head below it. Then screw a small self tapper into the hole and use it to pull the cap out with a pair of plyers or similar.

When unscrewed the jet generally lets more fuel through to the tiny openings just after the venturi. If this is blocked, and it sounds like it is, then the tiny holes cannot be seen to be blocked with the naked eye even if you could get it into the carb opening. Compressed air or if not available a small syringe with fuel and a small pipe may do the trick.

Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been messing around with the idle screw quite a bit trying to get it not to stall but one thing i did notice when i get the idle to 1500 and give it some throttle it would stay at 3500, i'm not sure if that's normal or not.
This doesn't have to do with your bike stalling, but thought I would share this: my gs500f, when I have the choke on letting it warm up, it will be idling at about 2,000. Then when I give it a little throttle, the idle jumps up to about 3,500 and very slowly backs down. I normally back off the choke a bit to lower the rpm faster. This probably doesn't get you anywhere closer to your solution, but thought I would through share this. :)

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
My bike did the exact same thing. The low idle pilot jets were completely clogged, three of them anyway. The orifice on these jets are very small, about .010" or so so you would not be able to see any foreign matter in the jet. Since it is so small it does not take much to clog it up. I had my local Suzuki dealer go through the carbs, installed new fuel lines with a inline filter as well. So far so good cept syncing the carbs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Something similar was happening to me, and it was caused by the carb's air cut-off valve diaphragm deteriorating. As far as I can tell, the ACV helps by preventing a lean mixture during quick engine deceleration, i.e. when you pull in the clutch after running at higher rpms.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts