Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So bought a 2004 vz 800 for the old lady that she wanted. It had been sitting for a couple years so had to clean tank and overhaul the carbs. Got it running but it wouldn't idle so may have to go deeper and clean a passage I missed. Now the issue I have it won't fire over again after letting it set for a week. I had been running some seafoam with gas through an external tank with gas just to test it out. Let it set with the seafoam in it all week to see if it would clean something out. When I put my hand over the front carb I get fuel. Spark is there but seems week. I can go old school and hold plug wire and it doesn't bite that bad. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
Are you sure you have a healthy and fully charged battery ?

SeaFoam is NOT a good carb solvent. It was not really designed to do that.
Berrymans B12 Chemtool or Gumout are MUCH better......and not over priced either.
Sometimes an idle problem is in a tiny passage that you can't really get to by hand.

Then, what muffler and intake are on it ?
"High flow" modifications often cause idle problems......and the air box and filter need to be on for final testing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fully stock bike. I have used seafoam for years for carb issues and has cleaned out dirty passages,not instantly but after awhile,just rode through it. And yes battery is fully charged. I have been an auto tech since 83 so know the basics just self learning on bikes lol. I know my Harley but not used to multiple carb set ups. I know they can be tricky.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Check the plug cap and boot are firmly attached...have had them come loose over time and the a simple twist to seat them often solves the immediate problem. Also check all connections to the offending coil. One question does it try to fire at all?

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
I have used seafoam for years for carb issues and has cleaned out dirty passages,not instantly but after awhile,just rode through it.
That does not alter the fact that SeaFoam was designed as a marine fuel stabilizer and any solvent action is just a side effect. Berrymans and Gumout WERE designed as fuel system cleaners and DO perform the function better.

Motorcycle engine operation is no different than cars or trucks.......just smaller versions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check the plug cap and boot are firmly attached...have had them come loose over time and the a simple twist to seat them often solves the immediate problem. Also check all connections to the offending coil. One question does it try to fire at all?
No it doesn't even try to fire, gonna pull plugs tonight and see if they are fouled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No it doesn't even try to fire, gonna pull plugs tonight and see if they are
That does not alter the fact that SeaFoam was designed as a marine fuel stabilizer and any solvent action is just a side effect. Berrymans and Gumout WERE designed as fuel system cleaners and DO perform the function better.

Motorcycle engine operation is no different than cars or trucks.......just smaller versions.
May try some Berrymans next then if I can get it to start. I really don't want to pull the carbs again lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep, Sea foam was designed for marine two stroke engines. The epa got rid of two stroke motorcycles years ago; why do people still use it in 4 stroke engines? I use it in the fall to preserve gasoline that is stored over the winter months.

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
why do people still use it in 4 stroke engines?
Because the makers make all kinds of "snake oil" claims about it and jack up the price to an outrageous amount.
Some people believe the marketing hype.
Some people think the most expensive product must be the best.
ALL of those people are WRONG.

I won't bad mouth SeaFoam as a fuel stabilizer.......but looking at the ingredients list, I am personally skeptical that is an effective stabilizer either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts