Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a 2017 victory octane that I purchased last Spring. It ran pretty decent last year but recently I've had some starting issues. Whenever the weather gets below 65゚ or so the bike will sit and crank for about 5 or 6 seconds before it will start. This also occurs when it's been sitting for more than about 8 or 9 hours . I took the bike to a reputable dealer who said that the battery and the starter were both perfectly fine and they could not determine what the issue was with the bike. It runs perfectly fine and once it's already been run for more than a 1/2 hour or so it starts up right away. Like I said , dealer said all checks okay but acknowledges that 5 or 6 second crank the isn't exactly normal. Any ideas? Here are some specs

New battery (checked fine at dealer)
2018 starter (checked fine)
5k miles.
Does have a power commander v. (Maybe something here? I tried the whole start as soon as fuel pumps turn on but that doesn't help either)

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
13,952 Posts
Your power commander settings probably need tweeking a bit......or it needs to be removed.
And I'm guessing that the pipes and intake have been messed with too......which will make it lean and hard to start.

IF it sounds like it is cranking a bit slow when cold, it is still possible that your battery is weak or the bike is not charging it fully. I suggest that putting it on a tender overnight should prove or rule out that theory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your power commander settings probably need tweeking a bit......or it needs to be removed.
And I'm guessing that the pipes and intake have been messed with too......which will make it lean and hard to start.

IF it sounds like it is cranking a bit slow when cold, it is still possible that your battery is weak or the bike is not charging it fully. I suggest that putting it on a tender overnight should prove or rule out that theory.

I do keep it on a tender aside from when I'm at work. Then after work is when it's the worst. I attached a link.

not sure what to do with commander. It was on when I bought and I know nothing about it. I was told if I take it off it may be detrimental due to aftermarket parts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do keep it on a tender aside from when I'm at work. Then after work is when it's the worst. I attached a link.

not sure what to do with commander. It was on when I bought and I know nothing about it. I was told if I take it off it may be detrimental due to aftermarket parts
Like I should try to find a map somewhere to use?

·
Super Moderator
13,952 Posts
Possibly. Dealer said it's good. And it's brand new as of a month ago. But they may be mistaken.
OR it just might not be charged up good.
Charge it yourself.
And check the 4 connection points for the main cables.
And then check the charging voltage with the engine running.

Also check the voltage when connected to your "tender".
It might have failed in a manner that it is DRAINING the battery instead of charging it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update. The battery test came back fine. I wonder, however, if a 160 cca battery may not be enough for the octane plus pc5 and battery tender pigtail(if any pull when not plugged in) ?

·
Super Moderator
13,952 Posts
Update. The battery test came back fine. I wonder, however, if a 160 cca battery may not be enough for the octane plus pc5 and battery tender pigtail(if any pull when not plugged in) ?
If you think a bare wire will draw any current when not plugged in, you should stop trying to figure this out on your own.

Where was the battery tested.......and HOW ?? And did they check the voltage to see if it was fully charged or not ??
And did anyone check ALL 4 of the main battery cable connection points ??

Problems like this are not unusual for a bike that has been screwed with.......but technicians these days don't seem to understand batteries either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suppose I assumed that it would be the same as a phone charger which is connected to the power supply, however, is not connected to a phone. There is indeed a small amount of wasted electricity. So it was a mistake on my part if that is not the case for a battery tender pigtail. I incorrectly assumed that if I take my bike to a dealer for starting issues, they would check all places which may be a contributor to said starting issue. Definitely frustrating.
I greatly appreciate the help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Starter motor good?
They advised battery good. Starter good. Did state that starter pulls 120 most the time, and occasionally 320. But replacing starter won't do anything they don't believe. They also stated they installed starter a couple years ago. I have a 160 cca battery. Think a higher cca battery may help for those 320 pulls or does that not make sense.

·
Super Moderator
13,952 Posts
Think a higher cca battery may help for those 320 pulls or does that not make sense.
NO. That high number means that something is causing the engine to almost seize when trying to start.
Could be from liquid fuel leaking into a cylinder due to a sticky injector......or due to an intermittent fault with the fuel controller or something else mechanically "Sticking".......like a valve.
Or it could be the starter itself shorting out internally.

·
Super Moderator
13,952 Posts
Hm. Any reason why an actual reputable dealer may just ignore such an issue? Seems like a lawsuit if something happened. Also, with a jump, it starts immediately.
Not much is going to happen if it won't start. ;)
It is sounding more and more like a starter.
Are the brushes where they are easy to get to ??
Is there an electric motor shop in your area that tests and rebuilds starters ??

·
Registered
29 Posts
As you have mentioned that whenever the temperature gets low, you are unable to start the bike. I think that would be a battery problem. You should examine it first before going for other maintenance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts