Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all!

I recently purchased a new-to-me 82' Suzuki GS650 and noticed it had an issue starting. After I replaced the battery the bike started up like a dream. The other day I went out to start it and take it on its first ride of the year and it wouldn't start. It would cough a little, but wouldn't start and run.

I went to Autozone and got the new battery checked and it was running just fine (as expected). My next guess is that I need a new stator, but I had a few questions before I decided to go and get one.

1. Does the oil need to be completely drained? (I've heard that it doesn't need to be occasionally as I just put in new oil)
2. Is the stator change difficult?
3. Any recommended places to get my new stator from?

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated! I'm dying to get my baby out on the road, but I want to make sure I'm not going to get stranded out there with a dead battery.

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
Any advice/help is greatly appreciated! I'm dying to get my baby out on the road, but I want to make sure I'm not going to get stranded out there with a dead battery.
Please stop and contemplate your next move carefully.

Just because a battery "tests good" once doesn't mean much.
Was your new battery fully charged before being put into use ?
How long did it sit unused after that ??

If you have a multi-meter, testing the charging voltage is really easy.......and replacing any parts without doing that first is just foolish.
If you don't have a meter, they can be had at Harbor Freight for about $10 and at WalMart and Lowe's etc. for just a little over $10.
That $10 investment might save you HUNDREDS in the end.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery was purchased less than a week ago and has been preforming well.
It sat for 2 days between starts.
The bike sounds like it has enough power to run the starter, but not enough to keep it going after that.

If the reading comes back as bad, I'd just like to refer back to my original questions.

I appreciate all the advice that I'm getting from here. This being my first bike and first major project I just want to make sure I get everything right.

·
Super Moderator
13,035 Posts
The bike sounds like it has enough power to run the starter, but not enough to keep it going after that.
"power" from the battery really isn't required to "keep it going" once it fires.....well, not much anyway.
Have you charged the battery up good since this problem occurred ?
If not you need to do that first.

I don't know the answers to your original questions but why bother discussing something that may not happen ?
It is possible for a new battery to be bad.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
Do as ER said get it to run and check across the terminals....if you are getting less than 13 VDC your charging system is suspect....make sure the battery cables are clean and tight.
A battery going flat after sitting for a couple of days also hints at a short in the system as even an older battery should retain its charge.

If you just ran the engine for a short while and the battery wasnt fully charged then this may be the problem. Batteries do not take being discharged well and often fail if this happens on more than one occasion.

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts