Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Suzuki Boulevard s83 and I wanna straight pipe it but is it gonna mess with the tuning or anything like that?

·
Still crazy after all these years
14,183 Posts
Ignoring the fact that it will make the bike extremely loud (and probably illegal in some states), removing the baffles will change the back pressure in the exhaust manifold. If you want to make a significant change like that, you should install a power commander, because you're going to have to re-map the engine to compensate for the changed pressure.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I'm carbureted
No problem we accept all people here.:lol4: but on a serious note you would probably have to rejet it. Unless you know someone with the same bike and pipes it will be a trial and error situation.

·
Super Moderator
12,536 Posts
Ignoring the fact that it will make the bike extremely loud (and probably illegal in some states),
This pipes discussion REALLY gets old.

In the US there are Federal laws against exhaust mods......in ALL 50 states.....as well as disturbing the peace laws on most places........in addition to common courtesy and consideration.

I think anyone caught with straight pipes on their bike should be fined $1000, spend a week in jail, have the bike impounded and crushed for scrap.

Yes, I'm serious.

WTF makes you think that it is OK for bike riders to make all the noise they want but cars, trucks and busses must have proper mufflers ???

It isn't OK. It says to the whole world: Look at me. I'm an inconsiderate A-hole.
Is that REALLY the image you want to project ??

·
14,183 Posts
Well, over here in the old world, if you get caught with modified pipes, it invalidates your registration, so you get ticketed for driving an unregistered vehicle (which is considered as a form of tax evasion, so it's not taken lightly).

Since they often setup checkpoints during the summer, if you get caught, the bike gets parked there / impounded until you can pick it up with a trailer. That will already set you back a few hundred euros, plus the cost of having to have the bike inspected again in order to have it re-registered. I took my bike through the inspection yesterday - EUR 62.00 for the German HU (main inspection) and ASU (exhaust/emissions inspection).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, over here in the old world, if you get caught with modified pipes, it invalidates your registration, so you get ticketed for driving an unregistered vehicle (which is considered as a form of tax evasion, so it's not taken lightly).

Since they often setup checkpoints during the summer, if you get caught, the bike gets parked there / impounded until you can pick it up with a trailer. That will already set you back a few hundred euros, plus the cost of having to have the bike inspected again in order to have it re-registered. I took my bike through the inspection yesterday - EUR 62.00 for the German HU (main inspection) and ASU (exhaust/emissions inspection).
wow, is that a yearly inspection?

·
14,183 Posts
3 years when the vehicle is new, then every 2 years after that.

The inspection includes the smog check and a safety check (they make sure that the tires have enough profile, the brakes work, the forks aren't leaking, all of the lights work, the horn, there's no rust on the frame, etc.) The whole process takes about 20 minutes for a bike, and costs 62 Euros (about 67 USD).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts