Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know how indepth I need to go but here is my problem...last fall I had to replace my battery on my custom hardtail. I felt it necessary to go with a lithium this time for the higher cranking amps. My bike is a 95 evo block and referred to as old school. It has compression releases as it it bored and 10-1. settting in the seat I went to push the solenoid tab and the thing hung on it would not stop turning over. Bad news was i had bolted everything down and tools away ready for a ride. battery fried before I could get disconnected. Well now with a traditional battery hooked one start and thats it. Replaced solenoid as the old one got real hot and started once now nothing what should i be looking at next?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Main circuit breaker maybe?
Not being a stock Harley it's pretty hard to guess what all problems you may have.
Old school?; I wouldn't call anything with an Evo and electric start old school.
Old school is reserved for Iron Harleys with a kick start like a Pan or Knuck or an early Shovelhead.
Sounds like the starter run on that fried things was your initial problem, could have been a bad solenoid at the heart of the problem.
May well have fried the starter completely unfortunately, the battery was not the problem.

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
Well now with a traditional battery hooked one start and thats it. Replaced solenoid as the old one got real hot and started once now nothing what should i be looking at next?
You should be looking at getting a voltmeter so you can TEST things instead of just guessing. :bluethum:

If you INSIST on just guessing:
Contacts in the start button (which might have stuck for the original problem)
Your "traditional battery" wasn't charged good
The starter is shot

How about defining "that's it" a little better ?
The bike started once.......and ran normally, I assume.
Then you shut it off......and exactly what happened on the next start attempt ??

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
This is not an uncommon problem on Harleys that someone has rigged together to make themselves a custom, or on older bike where people have done rewiring themselves. It almost always is caused by wiring, either shorted or hooked up wrong.

Start by tracing all the wiring in the starter circuit from the battery to the ignition switch to the relay, looking for a fault or short, and making sure that all wires are attached to where their supposed to be and not crossed to a wrong terminal. Check for proper voltage at the relay also, as lowe voltage (like from a short or bad connection or weak battery) will cause it to stick and make the starter run on. You may end up ripping the entire starting circuit out and starting fresh- a lot of folks do.
Also check starter engagement depth; about once every 10 years I run into a bike where the starter gear is engaging in too far, which makes it stick and fail to release, so the starter keeps running. Rare, and usually associated with using a mash up of crappy 'made in taiwan' parts from Rev-tech and/ or V-Twin Manufacturing.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
about once every 10 years I run into a bike where the starter gear is engaging in too far, which makes it stick and fail to release, so the starter keeps running. Rare, and usually associated with using a mash up of crappy 'made in taiwan' parts from Rev-tech and/ or V-Twin Manufacturing.
Boy howdy!...I've seen this issue before as well and indeed caused by chinachrome inc parts.
Unfortunately there's no easy fix here or at least no easy diagnoses, especially over the interweb.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Yeah, many a beginner has learned the perils of buying cheap imitation parts from Taiwan Ted. And eventually everyone learns that there are no easy shortcuts to diagnostic trobleshooting- you just have to educate yourself and do it right, no matter how long it takes.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yeah, many a beginner has learned the perils of buying cheap imitation parts from Taiwan Ted. And eventually everyone learns that there are no easy shortcuts to diagnostic trobleshooting- you just have to educate yourself and do it right, no matter how long it takes.
Do you know anything about a company "JIREH CYCLES" out of Festus MO, they are selling a starter that fits my sportster for $104.95 with free shiping. The starter is called a THUNDER FIRE 1.4KW. Sounds too good to be true, gives me some concern. I suspect my starter may be about to go but have not done an in depth check yet beyond checking cables and battery voltage.

Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Do you know anything about a company "JIREH CYCLES" out of Festus MO, they are selling a starter that fits my sportster for $104.95 with free shiping. The starter is called a THUNDER FIRE 1.4KW. Sounds too good to be true, gives me some concern. I suspect my starter may be about to go but have not done an in depth check yet beyond checking cables and battery voltage.

Any insight is appreciated.
I'd be surprised if it's bad, typically they last a long time, just replaced mine for the first time at 173,000+ miles.
My local indy recommended "all balls" and it seems to work fine even with my high compression cammed up motor.
H-D V-Twin engine All Balls Racing
Ultima brand stuff like the T-fire I believe is Korean made, may be fine I don't know but often you get what you pay for if you know what I mean.

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
beyond checking cables and battery voltage.
Resting battery voltage tells you virtually nothing about the health of a battery.
If it has caps and is over 3 years old, might as well replace it.
If it is sealed and over 5 years old, same thing.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Resting battery voltage tells you virtually nothing about the health of a battery.
If it has caps and is over 3 years old, might as well replace it.
If it is sealed and over 5 years old, same thing.
Thanks for the reply, I have been working in electronics for 50+ years so I know how to check a battery. Since you also have been in electronics you will know about this, I got my First Class FCC commercial broadcast ticket in 1965, they don't just hand those out without a person having a bit of knowledge. I just haven't had time lately to do a thorough check.

Current battery is an AGM, not original though.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'd be surprised if it's bad, typically they last a long time, just replaced mine for the first time at 173,000+ miles.
My local indy recommended "all balls" and it seems to work fine even with my high compression cammed up motor.
H-D V-Twin engine All Balls Racing
Ultima brand stuff like the T-fire I believe is Korean made, may be fine I don't know but often you get what you pay for if you know what I mean.
Usually the starter works fine, never had it fail to start the bike. There are times when it makes an un usual sound, I may take the end off and check the solenoid contacts, since it is a low millage bike for an 06 that could be a source of the noise.

I was just thinking for just over a hundred bucks I might get a spare if the starter has a potential problem.

Thanks for sharing your Harley knowledge, I am trying to get use to the way they do things.

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I have been working in electronics for 50+ years so I know how to check a battery.
Sorry. All I have to go on is what you PUT in each post......and a short term memory which leaves something to be desired lately !!

·
Registered
729 Posts
They sell cheap junk. You get what you pay for, and they are at the low point of the price range.
Thanks, I won't waste my money then. My Sportster has been starting properly for the last couple of days, perhaps it just wanted to be ridden more. That may indicate I have a weak battery, I will keep my eye on it. I appreciate your insight on motorcycle mechanics and such.

I bought a CLYMER manual from this company, it works well LOL. I bought a CLYMER several years ago for my Nighthawk 750 and it says in one place that a blown head gasket can allow water in the cylinders, that is the only error I have found, I thought that one was funny though since as you know the engine is air cooled.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I ended up replacing my battery after all, it passed the load test but still seemed weak. I ordered an AGM battery from BATTERY MART, the battery is made in the US in the same factory, by the same company that makes the Harley batteries. The cost was $74.95 with free shipping. I done some checking and the battery got good reviews from a lot of reviewers.

PO had put a battery that had a label on it "made in China", not a good sign. I was looking for something to tinker with when I bought the Sportster, boy did I succeed in that regard LOL. I finally have it where I feel I can trust it for a longer trip. Vibration is still enough to make it uncomfortable much over 70MPH, time I started slowing down though, turned 67 last week.

I am not as good as I once was but I am as good once as I ever was. I saw that on a bumper sticker somewhere.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Vibration is still enough to make it uncomfortable much over 70MPH
Heh, ride an old 4 speed solid mount Ironhead Sportster over 70mph sometime if you get the chance.
You'll get back on your rubberized Sporty and think you're riding a Goldwing.:mrgreen:
Sounds like a good deal on the battery......oh and happy birthday

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
I ended up replacing my battery after all,
Hope you gave the new one a good charge before installing it.
AND then checked the charging voltage in the bike.

If the battery tested good but it still seemed weak, it could be that it wasn't getting enough charge.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hope you gave the new one a good charge before installing it.
AND then checked the charging voltage in the bike.

If the battery tested good but it still seemed weak, it could be that it wasn't getting enough charge.
Documentation that came with the new battery says it is ready to install without additional charge. I did however charge it before installation just to be sure it was fully charged.

As discussed before I am fully capable of checking and installing a battery, thanks but your comments aren't needed.

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
thanks but your comments aren't needed.
And neither is your crabby assed reply.

MANY folks here don't have your (apparent) expertise and benefit from some simple suggestions.

If you aren't one of them, how about just ignoring it instead to "shooting" someone who is just trying to be helpful.

·
Registered
729 Posts
And neither is your crabby assed reply.
My crabby reply is based on your condescending attitude toward many folks on this board including me. I will refrain from commenting on your posts if you will grant me the same favor.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts