Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 2008 Stratoliner, with 35000 miles. Here recently it hasn't been running like it should. When I first start in the morning the bike is running great. When I start riding it, after about 15mins. it started to run like crap. Hesitation when you give it throttle, sputtering and stalling at stop lights. I have to open the throttle a little to keep it running at stop lights. But when you give it a lot of throttle taking off from the stop light it responds, it's just when you're cruising is the problem. The next morning I cranked it up and let it idle, 15 minutes, like clockwork, into the idle motor started sputtering and backfiring then evenly shut down. I've tried sea foam, changed the plugs, air filter, mass airflow sensor and fuel pump, but to no avail. What is it that allows the bike to run superb initially but after 15 min or so, when the bike warms well, it run like garbage? I'm puzzled.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,850 Posts
Some general ideas:
SeaFaom is NOT a good cleaner. Berrymans B12 Chemtool or Gumout are much better.
Had you made any modifications lately.....like pipes or intake ?
Is this fuel injection or carbs ?
I assume that there is no manual choke involved ?

Sounds like you have a "heat related" problem.
After it warms up, as gauged by a sensor in the coolant, the "choke" function is supposed to turn OFF and make the mixture leaner. Maybe that is stuck ON because of a bad or disconnected sensor.
Then maybe some ignition component is failing when it heats up.
It is also possible that an intake gasket is leaking a bit when hot.

I KNOW that you want to fix this yourself but you already have spent a lot of money to no avail.
And if you keep guessing, it likely will be a lot more money wasted.
I suggest that a shop visit will be your best bet, at least for some diagnostic tests.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some general ideas:
SeaFaom is NOT a good cleaner. Berrymans B12 Chemtool or Gumout are much better.

After it warms up, as gauged by a sensor in the coolant, the "choke" function is supposed to turn OFF and make the mixture leaner. Maybe that is stuck ON because of a bad or disconnected sensor.

I KNOW that you want to fix this yourself but you already have spent a lot of money to no avail.
I suggest that a shop visit will be your best bet, at least for some diagnostic tests.
Some general ideas:

I suggest that a shop visit will be your best bet, at least for some diagnostic tests./QUOTE]

Thank you Easy Rider my next step is to the mechanic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I didn't do any mods to the bike. It is electronic fuel injection with no manual choke. Thank you Easy Rider, my next stop is the mechanic shop.

·
Super Moderator
13,850 Posts
No I didn't do any mods to the bike. It is electronic fuel injection with no manual choke. Thank you Easy Rider, my next stop is the mechanic shop.
First.....when you click on "reply", then you type your reply in the box......below that last /QUOTE. Like this.

Then.....since you have EFI, it sounds like it is not reacting properly to the coolant sensor signal and leaning out the mixture as it warms up.
Bad sensor.....bad connection to the sensor......coolant level WAY low......EFI controller problem.

·
Super Moderator
13,850 Posts
I have an 06 Strat and all I have had to deal with so far is the front drive gear breaking loose from the shaft of the motor.
I limped her home, re-torqued it with some locktite, and we've been good ever since!
What exactly do you mean by "breaking loose" ??
IF......the splines were damaged you REALLY need a new gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts