Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1985 Honda Magna v30 . I had to replace all of the carb bowls 4 of them . Now I have a loud ticking sound that was not there prior to this fix . What the heck ? What if I dropped something down a carb while working on it , would this cause this sound ? Sounds like a lifter . JMHO .

Much thanks this thing is driving me crazy .
Arley

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
I don't think I've ever heard of just replacing the carb BOWLS before.

But yes, if you dropped something down a carb throat into the cylinder, that ticking could be the sound of a "time bomb" going off.

I suggest that at the very least you should remove the plugs and run the starter a bit........to see if anything comes flying out of one of the cylinders.

After that, it might be time for a professional ear.......literally.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I've ever heard of just replacing the carb BOWLS before.

But yes, if you dropped something down a carb throat into the cylinder, that ticking could be the sound of a "time bomb" going off.

I suggest that at the very least you should remove the plugs and run the starter a bit........to see if anything comes flying out of one of the cylinders.

After that, it might be time for a professional ear.......literally.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry but what I meant to state was " I replaced all the float bowl gasket's.
I suggest that at the very least you should remove the plugs and run the starter a bit........to see if anything comes flying out of one of the cylinders. Not sure what you meant " remove plugs" What plugs ?
Thanks,
Arley

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
The SPARK PLUGS.
But.....if you didn't have the air box and intake off when you changed the gaskets, it is unlikely that you dropped anything into the cylinders.
In that case, it probably is just a coincidence.......and you probably should have a shop look/listen to it.

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
Sorry but what I meant to state was " I replaced all the float bowl gasket's.
I suggest that at the very least you should remove the plugs and run the starter a bit........to see if anything comes flying out of one of the cylinders. Not sure what you meant " remove plugs" What plugs ?
Thanks,
Arley
P.S. You are making the "reply" process here harder than it needs to be.
Just click on "reply" and add you answer to the bottom of the quote that comes up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The SPARK PLUGS.
But.....if you didn't have the air box and intake off when you changed the gaskets, it is unlikely that you dropped anything into the cylinders.
In that case, it probably is just a coincidence.......and you probably should have a shop look/listen to it.
P.S. You are making the "reply" process here harder than it needs to be.
Just click on "reply" and add you answer to the bottom of the quote that comes up.
I did have to remove the air box and carbs to replace the gaskets . Sorry about asking "what plugs . It was to early in the AM and had not had a cup of coffee yet . I did ask you suggested and nothing blew out . I have not started the bike since as I'm afraid I will ruin something worse . How about if I remove the carbs and air box again ? Will I be able to then see if something is in there rattling around ?
Thanks again
Arley

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
How about if I remove the carbs and air box again ? Will I be able to then see if something is in there rattling around ?
Maybe. Likely wouldn't hurt.
And then you will have more/bigger holes to expell something if it is in there.
You need to run the starter for a few seconds to throw stuff out......maybe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe. Likely wouldn't hurt.
And then you will have more/bigger holes to expell something if it is in there.
You need to run the starter for a few seconds to throw stuff out......maybe.
OK that is next . Thanks again for your time on this . I already have more time and money in this than it is worth but I can not sell it like this either . Is there a place to put up a pic of this thing. Done a lot on it .

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
You should be able to include an image with any post.
See the strip of icons at the bottom of the post/edit/reply window.
It is best not to post HUGE images; 500K or less is best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK that is next . Thanks again for your time on this . I already have more time and money in this than it is worth but I can not sell it like this either . Is there a place to put up a pic of this thing. Done a lot on it .
Well imagin this . Decited to take it apart but then as I started to do that I found that the screws on the right side manifold hose thingy was not tight , so took care of that and checked everything else out . So I started it and let it warm up . Guess what ? no ticking . Still can't believe it , how is it that tightening those screws down stopped the ticking ? Don't know so I guess I will just be glad . However the Radiater sprung a leak now . This bike is cursed .
Aley

·
Super Moderator
12,251 Posts
Lesson learned.....hopefully.
You can't always properly determine what kind of noise it IS just by listening.
A vacuum leak can sound like all kinds of things, depending on exactly where it IS.
In this case, a mechanics stethoscope would have been REALLY useful.
Glad you are making progress.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A vacuum leak can sound like all kinds of things, depending on exactly where it IS.
Thanks again for your help . Hope to get this thing ready to ride before the weather changes . I don't ride in 100 degree weather .
I will sell it soon as I have my eye on something else .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well started it up again . Ticking gets worse as motor heats up , then the radiator sprung some leaks . Just about done with this thing . Pulled the carbs again looked in on valves. Nothing in there . But the guy that sold me this was not honest . Valves are very dirty , crusted over . It was to only have 9 grand on the speedo sure got dirty in that amount of time . No new radiators available either. Not sure if I should going on this thing .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts