Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what does everyone wear for summertime armor gear? I never used to wear the stuff and now that I have been wearing it over the winter I want to continue when it's warm again.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
cowboy boots, jeans and a t shirt

·
Registered
493 Posts
Bath robe and loafers, lol.

In all seriousness. I always have worn a leather jacket and jeans with icon leather gloves....I'm considering some mesh joe rocket black ballistic textile from newenough.com for the jacket and seriously considering mesh overpants, but haven't pulled the plug on either. I just don't feel like jeans are gonna cut it, its a bad habit in my opinion, but in the summers that what ive always ridden in

·
Registered
525 Posts
To echo Knipdm01, I wear jeans, leather riding boots, a leather motorcycle jacket (I went with a lighter weight leather moto jacket for this summer though I do still have my heavy one which I will probably wear or at least take with me on long trips.) leather motorcycle gloves and a fullface helmet....

With that said, I'll be the first one to tell you what I'm doing wrong:

Leather jacket - but no inner armor
Leather moto-gloves - but relatively thin, too thin.
Jeans - are NOT going to help all that much in a serious accident.

What I want/need:
Armored jacket that still looks good and fits me well.
Heavy duty leather gloves with more pad protection.
Thick leather chaps.
spine protector.

About all that I'm doing right is:
Good leather riding boots.
Good (relatively new) full faced helmet...... So yeah that's about it. And of course I still do stupid things like just wear jeans and a T-shirt w/ my boots and helmet if I'm just putzing down to the post office or something close.... Which truly could be disaterous.... I'm going to try to be more concious of the gear that I'm wearing this summer.... ATGATT....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Scorpion EXO 1000 full face Snell approved helmet.

Pros to this helmet are built in sunvisor that flips up and down with a switch, and pump up cheekpads (think early 90's Nike's) that make for a snug fit after you put it on.

Con's are that it is heavy, they make it smell like chocolate from the factory on purpose, and the venting is not spectacular.

Joe Rocket motorcycle jacket, leather.

Pro's are leather, armored, and has zip out liners and underarm straps. Useful in various weather.

Cons are it is a little hot in the summer even with all the liners out.

Gloves

I have two pairs, thick leather with armed knuckles etc and long wrist part to go over the jacekt sleeve. Also some synthetic guys with less armor. What I wear generally depends on the weather.

Icon Superduty III Boots

Pros are they are ok to walk in (not great), armored ankles, hardened (not steel) toes and heel area, made for riding.

Cons are they are not walkable for long periods (no real biking boots are), and not as protective as some of the more hardcore boots.

My failures

I need to do better on pants. I wear usually some Carhart jeans, or some insulated jeans with long-johns depending on the weather. I would like to get some armored jeans or similar this year.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Well since i live in hawaii i can pretty much say summer wear is year round... this is my gearset

Helmet
Icon Domain w/ dark tint visor
Ride Icon
Only can compare it to a Scorpion exo and HJC and the airflow is WAY better on the icon

Jackets
Short rides
Icon Decay Mesh
Ride Icon
Like wearing a tougher football jersey with pads built in. Such good airflow its actually cooler to wear one than to not wear one since it also seems to reflect some of the beating sun.

Longer Rides / More protection / waterproof
Alpinestars Sigma Drystar textile (leather is just insane in hawaii)
Sigma Drystar® Jacket - Alpinestars Official Store
Waterproof in everything except major storms which you prolly shouldnt be riding in anyway but still nice airflow.

Pants
Icon Canvas (of course with no liner)
Ride Icon
Hip reinforced, knee armor, just that little extra peace of mind.

Shoes
Icon Field Armor Chukka
Ride Icon
Freaking awesome shoes specially if you got wide feet like me. Way comfortable on long rides and i often just wear em to work even if i dont ride that day.

Gloves
Alpinestars Thunder textile
Thunder Glove - Alpinestars Official Store
Excellent protection and airflow to keep from sweaty hands

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been lookin for a nice jacket to add to my Shoei x-11 i just bought. A friend of mine just informed me of this steal of a jacket if you're lookin for one.
Don't you hate it when your friend finds such a good deal that you just about HAVE to buy the thing? It's mostly black, but at least it's perforated for airflow.

Anyway, I gotta act quick though as I'm not sure how long the sale will last. Also it's only two colors that are on sale, blue or red...

Scorpion ExoWear Stinger Jacket Red/Black from SportbikeTrackGear.com

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I wear Speed & Strength jacket with plenty of zippers to let air in, a scorpion exo-100 half helmet (plan on getting a full soon), Icon Accelerant waterproof boots and carhart jeans.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Vanson Leathers Max Mesh Vent

So what does everyone wear for summertime armor gear? I never used to wear the stuff and now that I have been wearing it over the winter I want to continue when it's warm again.
My summer armor (9 months out of the year where I live) is a Vanson Leathers armored jacket that is similar to a football practice jersey in that it has a really open weave outer shell with a slightly tighter weave inner shell - and it just let's the air come right through while providing the appropriate armor in all the right places. They run a little small - so you'll need one that is at least one size too big. It's got tastefully done reflective material as well. Very retro motorcycle racing styling - definitely hit me in all the right spots.

Root

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wear a set of Tourmaster gear with removable liners. In the summer that leaves the mesh outer covering and the armor in the elbows, shoulders, back, hips and knees. Also an HJC full face helmet.

Blue jeans will rip to shreds within the first five feet of skidding on pavement. Don't ask how I know that.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Full face helmet and goggles

Tourmaster open mesh armored jacket (has two liners) with liners out when hot (breathes very well)

Jeans with leather chaps

Heavy black leather workmen style cowboy boots

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Full face helmet (at all times of year)

Fieldsheer jacket w/armor (all times of year)
w/o liner in the summer and with liner for all other times of year

Military high-top speedlace boots (all the time)
Blue Jeans (all the time) - occassionaly I'll wear my leather chaps.

Full finger gloves all the time. I have a lightweight set for summer and insulated/water-resistant set for all other times.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Baseball cap, pair of cut-offs, tank top & flip flops.

Kidding!

Actually have seen guys like this...doing wheelies on the interstate. They're so cool too.

Thankfully, none of them went splat while I was watching.

·
Leg Humps The Snap On Tool Man
1,477 Posts
Post office runs:
Shades and a light jacket or Tee, jeans and steel toes.

Short distance ie work and back: leather armored gloves(Icon), shades, half bucket(GMax), chapped Carharts<cruel to a tank by the way) steal toes, work vest & a hoodie.

Anything longer: Armored Leather Alpinestars Jacket, Steel toes, jeans (to be replaced by armored riding jeans) Armored Leather gloves, Full Face GMax GM68 helmet.

Wet: Full Face, Alpinestars Jacket, Gloves, Steel Toes & wool socks, Denim 20k Denier Sessions snowboard pants.

Looking to add: Light slip over rain suit, Armored riding pants, water proof boots, mesh armored jacket. And full gear for my girly. NMc

·
Registered
197 Posts
Here's what I have:

- Shoei full-face vented helmet
- Olympia Viper mesh jacket. Was going to get Air Glide 3 but Viper has two liners (insulation and rain), a longer CE pad on the back, and 2000 denier fabric in critical areas (compred to 500 for AG3) for just $10 more.
- ICON waterproof leather riding boots (ankle-high)
- Olympia vented leather gloves w/kevlar reinforcement and guantlet

What I am getting:

- Some sort of riding jeans plus separate armor, or pants w/ armor built-in. Still investigating these and hope to get them in a week or so.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I wear my leather jacket until the temp hits 80 degrees. Then I switch over to a cheap Mesh (with Armor) for the really hot days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts