Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people with more knowledge then me. I am about to change the engine oil on my Suzuki 1979 A100.
Research tells me that the bike takes 1.1 litres of oil. It also tells me that to do an oil level reading,
the bike should be started and ran idle for 3 minutes, then turned off and let it sit for 3 minutes.
However, as there is no dip stick, I am wondering what the oil level should read on a make shift dip stick
like a screw driver. It is currently approximately 2 centimetres.

Many thanks, Shane.

·
Super Moderator
13,783 Posts
Most bikes without a dipstick are "read" by getting it hot, putting on the center stand and removing the plug for the fill hole and observing that the oil is high enough that it is just about to run out.
That may or may NOT be the right procedure for yours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Easy Rider. Thank you for your response and sorry for the delay in responding back.
Well 1.1 litre is not visible with the fill hole plug off. Even (maybe) stranger is that I have just noticed stamped on the side of the engine below the fill hole is the figure "650ml". Is this the correct amount of oil? I don't know now. Either way, if I'm wrong, it's not good. I am hoping someone will read this and provide the information I need. Many thanks again.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Can you post a picture of the stamped info and of the engine with the filler cap off. Also with a pic of that side of the bike.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Is that a sight glass behind the kickstart? There should be a line on it.... if it is and the oil should be level with that....probably know this already yeah? Did you put 1.1 litres in it?....it may not be visible from the fill hole even with the correct amount in as long as the sight glass level is correct then it should be OK....of course if that isn't a sight glass then the only way is to have an accurate chart for your model.... what you seem to have access to.

Just zoomed in and noticed that little gauge on the side cover....what is it for....not the oil level is it??

good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is that a sight glass behind the kickstart? There should be a line on it.... if it is and the oil should be level with that....probably know this already yeah? Did you put 1.1 litres in it?....it may not be visible from the fill hole even with the correct amount in as long as the sight glass level is correct then it should be OK....of course if that isn't a sight glass then the only way is to have an accurate chart for your model.... what you seem to have access to.

Just zoomed in and noticed that little gauge on the side cover....what is it for....not the oil level is it??

good luck
It is the oil level gauge for the oil / petrol self mix system.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Right a Two stroke so no engine oil other than mixed with the fuel? The oil you are putting in is for the transmission only? Seems a lot even at 750ml. Does this bike have extra oil for the big end etc...all the two strokes I ever dealt with had no engine oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Right a Two stroke so no engine oil other than mixed with the fuel? The oil you are putting in is for the transmission only? Seems a lot even at 750ml. Does this bike have extra oil for the big end etc...all the two strokes I ever dealt with had no engine oil.
Yes gearbox oil. So the 650ml would be correct. (as it should be)
I put in 700, is that too much, or is it a safe amount? Could you tell me please what harm too much oil can do?
Thank you,

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
It should be OK... 50ml wont cause any problems is not under pressure so the seals will fine. Too much oil could make the clutch slip and gear changes more difficult but other than that no major issues. On some bikes the primary drive has its own oil supply but yours will be all inclusive. One thing never use car oil with friction modifiers....your clutch will definitely slip then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It should be OK... 50ml wont cause any problems is not under pressure so the seals will fine. Too much oil could make the clutch slip and gear changes more difficult but other than that no major issues. On some bikes the primary drive has its own oil supply but yours will be all inclusive. One thing never use car oil with friction modifiers....your clutch will definitely slip then.
Okay. Thanks Steve for all of your input and guidance. Appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts