Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone. I have a question according to the fuel consumption. Now i have stock exhaust and the consumption is about 5.4 lts/100 km on the highway and about 7 lts in town. I want to change exhaust either to Cobra or to V&H. The question is: what fuel consumption i should expect on both exhaust. Maybe there is somebody who has cobra or v&h installed on your m50. And is it necessary to put any kind of fuel controllers? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,294 Posts
You might be the only person alive who gave fuel consumption any thought when contemplating changing the pipes on a motorcycle. :unsure:

If anything, it might go up just a tad but not anything significant.
And .....while you might THINK the performance goes up, that probably won't change either.
It likely will sound meaner but won't really be.

Are you sure you want to make more noise ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might be the only person alive who gave fuel consumption any thought when contemplating changing the pipes on a motorcycle. :unsure:

If anything, it might go up just a tad but not anything significant.
And .....while you might THINK the performance goes up, that probably won't change either.
It likely will sound meaner but won't really be.

Are you sure you want to make more noise ?
I know that performance won't go up. Its not a reason why i want to change the exhaust. The main reason to doing that is more louder sound to be heard for the other drivers. Just for my own safety

·
Super Moderator
12,294 Posts
The main reason to doing that is more louder sound to be heard for the other drivers. Just for my own safety
So.....let's talk about that just a bit.

Loud pipes do NOT save lives.
Most of the extra sound is projected BACKWARDS and the back is not where most of your danger comes from.
In fact, REALLY loud pipes tend to piss people off and might make you a target for road rage.

It will contribute MUCH more to your safety to learn good defensive riding and emergency handling techniques that any change of pipes will do. If there are beginner and advanced riding classes in your area, that would be a much better use of your money than messing around with the pipes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Regarding loud pipes saves lives, I was at a stop light with the windows down in my pickup. A motorcycle with loud pipes, a Harley Davidson approached the intersection at may be 35 - 40 miles per hour. I didn't hear him until he was right into the intersection. Yes, you don't hear well a motorcycle with loud pipes approaching, unless the speed is really slow. Afterwards, the sound lingered.

There's a false sense of security. Most have their car windows closed, which cuts down on outside noises further. I find taking a defensive riding posture more sure. Brighter clothing may help some, but especially with people using their cellphones while driving even though they are not supposed to, conversation inside vehicles, carrying babies and children, listening to an interesting radio program or music (and some crank up the volume), lighting cigarettes, eating and drinking at critical times, I think you can get the picture. People overall aren't paying attention to looking for you.

Some military departments (I think the US Army hasn't though) have dropped the colored reflective vest idea on their troops because they have found overall that it has very little impact in preventing accidents. They focus on getting extra training taught by an instructor.

Your better off to get training even if you pay a little in tuition, dress right with protective gear, and learn to ride defensively. Those will pay for themselves way more than a modified exhaust system.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree, louder is not safer. That's a total myth. They will not hear you, or they'll get mad at you. Focus on being seen, and anticipating which idiot is going to try to kill you next. Lighting on the bike, and high visibility gear, will do more good than getting louder. The price of a set of custom pipes can get you quite a bit of training/gear/lighting. Look into Skene lights and controllers, they have some serious science behind them to get someone's attention when they're not paying attention. Then get as much training as you can afford, practice your emergency stopping, swerving etc., and your attitude and attentiveness is as important as anything. After a while you learn to read the traffic and know who to look out for.

I'll get some pics of my M50's lights when I get a chance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Now i have stock exhaust and the consumption is about 5.4 lts/100 km on the highway and about 7 lts in town.
I'm too lazy to do the math, but I think that's quite a bit better than mine. It's a 2009 M50 and I get a little better than 40 mpg. So roughly 4 liters is getting me nowhere near 100 km. Anyway, on your other question, the fuel injection is managed by a computer that's programmed for the factory exhaust. If you change the exhaust, you should get a fuel controller that you can tune to that exhaust, and learn how to program it. Then you may still end up with burned valves, or carbon buildup in the heads, or other issues. I prefer to leave it as Suzuki's engineers designed it, it's running great after 40K+ miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts