Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I hope everyone's well. Can someone help me identify the problem with my bike? It won't start. I came out one day and my bike wouldn't turn over. I gave the battery a quick charge and I hear a buzzing sound. It sounds like it's coming somewhere under the gas tank. I have recorded the noise if it helps. I want to fix this issue myself - especially if it's a starter relay or something. I hear this noise when I open the kill switch to start my bike. Can someone offer some advice?

It's a 2005 Suzuki Boulevard M50. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
12,898 Posts
More details are needed.
This is most likely a battery problem or a battery connection problem.
A "quick" charge on the battery is not good enough.
Some voltage tests are needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More details are needed.
This is most likely a battery problem or a battery connection problem.
A "quick" charge on the battery is not good enough.
Some voltage tests are needed.
Thank you, Easy Rider. You are probably right. I'll replace the battery this weekend or test this one.

·
Super Moderator
12,898 Posts
Thank you, Easy Rider. You are probably right. I'll replace the battery this weekend or test this one.
Unless......the battery is more than 3 years old OR has been abused by being left fully discharged for a long time, it is NOT a good plan to just throw money away on a wild guess.
If you do get a new battery, be sure it is fully charged before installing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless......the battery is more than 3 years old OR has been abused by being left fully discharged for a long time, it is NOT a good plan to just throw money away on a wild guess.
If you do get a new battery, be sure it is fully charged before installing.

I bought a new battery and fully charged it. The old battery was needing to be replaced, I think. The terminals were pretty bent up and nasty. Definitely had the look of being old... But it's still not turning over. I hear a quick "zapping" noise when I open the kill switch. Well... off to the shop. I need to get back on the road. This is my only transportation.

·
Super Moderator
12,898 Posts
But it's still not turning over. I hear a quick "zapping" noise when I open the kill switch.
To make it run, you need to CLOSE the kill switch.
And if the starter runs without you closing the start switch.......a shop visit is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To make it run, you need to CLOSE the kill switch.
And if the starter runs without you closing the start switch.......a shop visit is probably a good idea.

Okay, yeah, I'm getting confused. When I CLOSE the kill switch, I hear a faint zapping sound. Anyway, it's in their hands. I'll share with you what the problem is. I hope it's not the fuel pump they mentioned and how expensive they are for this kind of bike.

·
Super Moderator
12,898 Posts
A short buzzing sound is not unusual as the fuel pump comes up to pressure.
What happens if you then go ahead and try to start it ?
Or we can wait and see what they find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I have heard that buzzing sound before from the fuel pump, and they said it's normal. But the sound I hear now is zapping? Like an electric current being passed? It's a new sound I haven't heard before. And then I go and start it and nothing at all. It's weird man. I'm really curious about what they will find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have heard that buzzing sound before from the fuel pump, and they said it's normal. But the sound I hear now is zapping? Like an electric current being passed? It's a new sound I haven't heard before. And then I go and start it and nothing at all. It's weird man. I'm really curious about what they will find.
Well, Easy Rider, my bike is fixed! And it won't cost a lot. I guess we can chalk this one up as LUCK & MOTORCYCLE MAINTENANCE 101. The clutch wasn't pulling in properly and a little dirty. So, they had to tighten and lube it up. I think a monthly walk around my bike and daily check would be a good idea going forward. Thank you for your help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts