Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
every 4 or 5 thousand miles is plenty, but do remember that always change the oil at the beginning of the season. after sitting all winter
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,452 Posts
KENWOOD04 said:
every 4 or 5 thousand miles is plenty, but do remember that always change the oil at the beginning of the season. after sitting all winter
:plus1: You can also learn to change it yourself, it's pretty simple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
I do mine every 3000 miles(and filter).......And never miss one. I even schedule my use around the changes. I might not ever do much else right on the bike but oil changes are the key to a really long engine life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
At the beginning of the season, and ever 3K miles after that. Always change the filter.

And don't forget to check it occasionally, if for no other reason than because it's entertaining to the neighbors to watch you hold up a 600 pound motorcycle while standing on your head..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Well I bought a second hand 05 C50 with 5500 miles on it. I change it every 2500 miles with Amsoil and a K&N chrome oil filter. I also change my gear oil every 2500 miles. They are both so easy it just seems like I should do both of them at the same time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
To Date:
Oil & Filter - 100 miles, 600 mile(dealer service), 3k, 6K(switched to synthetic)

Like bloomfieldrich, I've taken to changing the gear oil along with the regular oil changes. After 3k my gear oil is pretty dirty.

-Sandman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
I'm a freak about oil. I change my wifes M-50's oil every 1500-2000 or so, and of course after sitting all winter. She's got a little over 10,000 on it now and I just changed the rear end oil. Everything seems fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Bud, I use a golf stick with my wifes makeup mirror taped onto it to check the oil. Not as funny as standing on your head but only until i'm at the course and pull out my 7 iron (7mirror) in front of the guys..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
You should change your oil BEFORE you put it away for winter storage, NOT in the spring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
848 Posts
BudTheGrey said:
At the beginning of the season, and ever 3K miles after that. Always change the filter.

And don't forget to check it occasionally, if for no other reason than because it's entertaining to the neighbors to watch you hold up a 600 pound motorcycle while standing on your head..

Bud, Get an inspection mirror from the auto parts store. It's just a small mirror on what looks like an antenna. You sit on the bike, balance it and just hold the mirror down there and you can see the oil level without a problem. Much safer and a lot less chance of dropping the bike.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,860 Posts
eb77k said:
I'm a freak about oil. I change my wifes M-50's oil every 1500-2000 or so, and of course after sitting all winter.
I've read at least one convincing test that showed oil being better at preventing wear after it has some miles on it and accumulates some metal. Certainly there's no appreciable degredation after 2000 miles. I'd show some concern for the environment (and your wallet) and stop wasting resources.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,274 Posts
bloomfieldrich said:
Well I bought a second hand 05 C50 with 5500 miles on it. I change it every 2500 miles with Amsoil and a K&N chrome oil filter. I also change my gear oil every 2500 miles. They are both so easy it just seems like I should do both of them at the same time.
Most people would consider that over kill but your motor should last a long time :bluethum:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
672 Posts
I change mine every 5000 kms, as oil is cheap compared to engine rebuilds. Change filter then too. A habit that makes everything run nicely.
But then again, maybe I am a bit strange, because I actually check tyres every week too, and coolant, etc. 3 minutes a week will let you check everything needed on a bike.

Synthetic is best AFTER the 1000km svc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
right under the window that you ues to check the oil i think it is on the left side it says 3000 mi but there is no such thing as changing it too often you could cange it every day if you wanted to waste oil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
Harley write up...

At the beginning of the season, and ever 3K miles after that. Always change the filter.

And don't forget to check it occasionally, if for no other reason than because it's entertaining to the neighbors to watch you hold up a 600 pound motorcycle while standing on your head..
Is that you on the avatar picutes?

Was you that wrote the harley article ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Is that you on the avatar pictures?

Was you that wrote the harley article ?
Yup, that's really me in the avatar.

I've never ridden a Harley in my life, so I'm not guilty of writing anything Harley-centric (well, once about 20 years ago I took my dad's H-D out for 10 or 15 miles, but that doesn't count because I petrified of dropping it).
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top