Motorcycle Forum banner

Suzuki GS650 MD Katana horsepower

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Easy Rider 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm rebuilding a Suzuki GS650 MD Katana and stumbled accros the fact that the MD model, which is a US only model, only has 68 HP, whereas the standard GS650 has 73 HP.

I live in Denmark in Europe, however the bike I'm rebuilding is imported from US back in 1986.

Does anyone know why the US model only has 68 HP and what I need to do to make my GS650 MD get the standard 73 HP?

Regards

Peter

#3 ·
I'm doing a complete teardown and rebuild of the bike.

I bought the bike in a very poor condition, and now I have taken everything apart, all parts has has been sandblasted and repainted - engine, carburetors, brakes, suspension etc has been dismantled and rebuild with new components, all wiring has been renewed and tested - it is a hobby project :) and it has taken a long time, but I'm finally approaching the finalisation and I'm looking forward to starting the engine for the first time within the next month or so.

Anyway, mostly out of curiosity, now that I have had everything taken apart and therefore know the bike quite well, I would like to know what might be the reason why two identical engines produces a different amount of horsepower.

I can see from the spares for the carburetors that all the jets are identical apart from the pilot jet, however the sizes of both the US pilot jet (09492-42010) and the standard pilot jet (09492-42007) are 42.5 as far as I can see, so it seems like all jets are identical and since the bore of the engine is also the same I'm wondering what might cause the difference.

/Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.