Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to the site and not much of a mechanic. I have a problem with an '82 Suzuki GS650G that I just bought. On the way home from buying it the bike started to lose power. It ran fine for about 5 miles and then started to be sluggish in throttle response. I could feel the engine getting a little hot. Then the bike stalled. I pulled it over and got off and noticed that the engine was smoking a bit. I tried to restart it but it barely turned over. I let it cool for a couple mins and it started and I was able to ride it the rest of the way home (about a mile). In the driveway it was still smoking (but not too much) and I had trouble getting it back into neutral. After a minute or 2 it clicked into neutral. My fear is that the engine was getting hot and starting to seize. Does this sound right to any of you? If not what do you think it might be and what could be causing it? I paid $900 for it and thought that was a fair price if it ran well but not sureit is now and feel that I was duped by the seller. Any help/insight into what might be wrong would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
i'd take it to a mechanic. or find one to help ya learn.

how long was the bike sitting before ya bought it.

as for being duped. well it is a 30 year old bike. you kinda have to go in expecting problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guy I bought it from said that he has recently taken it for a pretty long ride with no trouble. He said he rode it from Kalamazoo to Paw Paw which is about 30 miles one way. I'm assuming he rode back making it a 60 mile round trip. He also said he recently changed the oil. I need to check the oil level though. Maybe it's low and it just not getting lubricated and possibly the reason why it's getting hot. The think that is troubling me is that he said it is a great running bike and the add in Craigs List said it is an "Excellent Runner" which is why I think I've been duped. Not much of a runner if it can't make it less than 10 miles on the 1st ride. Certainly a bit skeptical of his claim to have ridden 60 miles recently. Anyway, you're right I need to get it to a mechanic to take a look at it. Of the top of your head anyone have an idea of what it costs to have a shop do a diagnostic on a bike?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hay Lienad: I have a 81 gs 650 I'm bringing back from the dead......I'm new in here but have been working on diff. bikes for a good while now. I don't know everything but will try and help when i can. Like sloz said...find someone close by that remembers how to work on these old bikes....much has changed. I would check the oil level...look on the rt. side of the motor and find the round sight glass. Have the bike on the center stand and you should see the oil level...it should be in the middle of the window. Open the oil filler cap and smell for gas....sometimes the carbs stick and can flood the crank case....if so....change oil and filter soon! Hope this helps....need any other help I will do my best. I've had so many people tell me...."yeah it ran a month ago" and when I take the carbs out to check them , all the jets are plugged up and the fuel bowels are full of junk.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Like brcree said, check the oil. Change it with the proper oil (10w-40) and put in a new filter just in case the old one is plugged. Don't take chances with a slipping clutch. Also it's possible, but not likely, that the fuel cap, which is vented, is plugged. That could cause you to start running lean because you're not getting enough fuel. Also my son has a 1981 GS550 and it has a dipstick. Weird. It's true what brcree said about carb troubles causing gas in the oil, it happened to me. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I think you have just learned your lesson about taking a seller's word for what condition something is in. Overheating, engine smoking, won't shift when hot...sounds like you bought a lemon. Personally, I do test rides longer than 60 miles. I hope I am wrong and you find something you can fix at an affordable price to make this thing into a runner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts