Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all. Ive got a 99 VL1500 I’ve been troubleshooting this issue since last season. Over the winter I’ve fixed my exhaust leaks and removed my exhaust collectors, one part of the exhaust leaks. However first ride today and as soon as I shut her down she again back fired. I’m gonna be sending it in for a carb tune up however any other issues y’all may know about. Leaky carbs?

I’m going to be removing my pair valve soon as well.

Thank you for the future help

·
Super Moderator
12,541 Posts
Popping and backfires on decel just kind of goes with the territory...............
IF you have open pipes and/or a low restriction intake.

Those things tend to make the mixture leaner and that causes the popping.

Removing the pair valve might help too but getting some restriction back into the intake and exhaust will help more.
(If they are not stock now, of course.)

A lot of engines pop a little in decel but a proper muffler reduces that to where you don't notice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Popping and backfires on decel just kind of goes with the territory...............
IF you have open pipes and/or a low restriction intake.

Those things tend to make the mixture leaner and that causes the popping.

Removing the pair valve might help too but getting some restriction back into the intake and exhaust will help more.
(If they are not stock now, of course.)

A lot of engines pop a little in decel but a proper muffler reduces that to where you don't notice.
So it’s a afterfire issue. When I shut down she lets out a loud bang. Not backfire or pop ing when I let off the trottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,541 Posts
and as soon as I shut her down she again back fired.
So it’s a afterfire issue. When I shut down she lets out a loud bang. Not backfire or pop ing when I let off the trottle.
I was just going by what you said.......and I misunderstood "shut her down" for closing the throttle abruptly.
And you said "back fire".

If the ONLY time that it bangs through the exhaust is when you turn it OFF......then I have no ideas.
Is it running hot by any chance ??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts