Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm no novice when it comes to bikes. But this is stumping me and I don't want to buy parts before I eliminate the variables. I have a 1994 rf900r and she works great. But over the last year I noticed that the starter button has slowly been giving me issues. I have to tilt the triples to the brake side to get the switch to work so she will turn over. Now though, I can't even do that. I looked at all the fuses and they are good, connections are solid. Battery is charged, she started fine a few days ago with some wiggling of the triples. So today I take apart the switch and everything looks fine, I trace the wires and it's all connected and nothing is frayed or cut.

This is what I noticed when it was getting more dead at the switch. It would click but not turn over until I got the triples in the right place. Now it won't even do that. So I'm thinking it might be the starter solenoid but that looks new and has good fuses? Or the switch itself is bad? I hope it's the switch because that is cheap compared to the starter. Any suggestions? I'm not exactly up for paying 200+ for a new starter. Thank you ahead of time for any help. :bluethum:

·
Super Moderator
13,450 Posts
It would click but not turn over until I got the triples in the right place.
You need a meter to test out things......like wires and switches.......and the battery.
When it clicks but won't turn over, that is likely the battery, solenoid or corroded battery cables.
When it works differently depending on the position the front wheel is turned, that sounds like a broken wire.

First thing is give the battery a good charge.
Next is get a meter; always nice to have one on hand.
And if you think you might keep this bike for a while, a shop manual might be a good investment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.