Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,
So I purchased a 2015 S40 today from a dealership. It was a used bike (2,300 miles) and the previous owner had put on really noisy Jardine muffler. The sound is a bit too loud and will be frowned in my neighborhood.

Any thoughts on a replacement to reduce the noise? Should I just purchase the original stock? I don't want to spend too much on this, but is there something that can reduce the noise without compromising everything else.

thanks for any insight folks. Really appreciate it
AMT

·
Super Moderator
13,232 Posts
Yes a stock muffler is best.
Ask the dealer who sold it to you.
He should be willing to help.......since he could get in hot water for selling a vehicle with an illegal muffler.

You could call around to independent bike shops and salvage yards too.
But hopefully it is still available from Suzuki at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes a stock muffler is best.
Ask the dealer who sold it to you.
He should be willing to help.......since he could get in hot water for selling a vehicle with an illegal muffler.

You could call around to independent bike shops and salvage yards too.
But hopefully it is still available from Suzuki at a reasonable price.
Easy Rider-
thank you for getting back. A new stock costs $330, a tad too much. The dealer suggested adding additional baffles and and offered to provide some phone advise next week on how to go about it.
Meanwhile, I found this add on Craiglist- the poster said he took it to the scrapyard and sold it for $5.00
Not sure if it would fit my 2015 S40, but worth a try. I plan to visit that scrapyard.

Been hard to find a OEM replacement online, the issue is it does not say if the pipes are loud or quiet.
thanks

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Fitting extra baffles isnt too difficult if you are fairly handy. I used some old hair spray containers....essentialy round aluminium tubes suitably modified to fit a bike that had loud aftermarket mufflers. Basically all you need to do is slow down and redirect some of the exhaust gasses to quieten the pipe down.

If you can get a good used stock one from a wreckers then that is the way to go. You may find a dealer who has just removed one from a clients bike to fit an afermarket one willing to negotiate a better price...even better if its used.

Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fitting extra baffles isnt too difficult if you are fairly handy. I used some old hair spray containers....essentialy round aluminium tubes suitably modified to fit a bike that had loud aftermarket mufflers. Basically all you need to do is slow down and redirect some of the exhaust gasses to quieten the pipe down.

If you can get a good used stock one from a wreckers then that is the way to go. You may find a dealer who has just removed one from a clients bike to fit an afermarket one willing to negotiate a better price...even better if its used.

Good luck
Aussie Steve- thank you for the tip. It has been hard to find used pipes and new go for $350-$400. I have spoken with my local mechanic about it and they are also looking, but will now have to ask them to make one instead like you have suggested.
On a side note, I can't fathom someone riding with such loud noise because it only degrades ones hearing abilities. Especially the occasional loud pops. It really hurts my ears.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts