Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first of all I'd like to apologize if this is the wrong place to be posting a question about this but I couldn't find a good place to post this.

I've currently got a 2010 Ninja 650R which I've been riding for about a year as my first bike. I love it but I was looking to buy something with a bit more power and a higher top speed.
I've been looking at an 2012 Yamaha R6 for about $7,000 or a 2003 Suzuki SV1000S for $3,700. Most of the listings for the SV1000S are around $3,500-$5,000. The bike new is about $8,600. Why is it so cheap for a liter bike? I don't know much about bikes in terms of specs or what to look for so I apologize if it's an obvious or stupid question. It seems like a pretty rare bike too. Does anybody have experience with this bike?

·
Super Moderator
12,245 Posts
I've currently got a 2010 Ninja 650R which I've been riding for about a year as my first bike. I love it but I was looking to buy something with a bit more power and a higher top speed.

2003 Suzuki SV1000S for $3,700. Most of the listings for the SV1000S are around $3,500-$5,000. The bike new is about $8,600. Why is it so cheap for a liter bike?
I must admit that I don't know what this particular sub-forum in intended for......so I guess it's as good a place as any to put this.

Higher top speed than what, exactly ? 100 MPH isn't enough for you ?
Why more power, want to kill yourself quicker ??
Those "smart assed" questions are serious ones.

Then......a 2003 model vehicle is now 15 years old. That pretty tells the story on the price.
Are you saying that you don't understand what depreciation is.....or how it works ??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get that bikes depreciate over time. It's just that I want to know what makes a liter bike like this as cheap as it is even with its age. Even if the bike were brand new, it would only be $8,600. Most new liter bikes from what I see around in the $15,000-$20,000 price range. What is the reason for the huge difference in price between these bikes? I apologize if there's something I don't understand. Like I said, I don't know much when it comes to this stuff.

·
Registered
6,770 Posts
Well as stated its 15 years old...thats a pretty steep price for such an old bike....no matter how well its been looked after. You can get decent later model Bandit 1200's here for around that price....an 06 with 83 thousand kilometres on the clock for $3990 au.

Also what mileage has it got...I just looked on a sales site here and 05 ones are on for $5000 to $5500 au at the exchange rate that puts them in the $3800 range...these bikes typically have around 50 to 60 thousand kilometres on the clocks and mostly in pristine condition.

·
Super Moderator
12,245 Posts
Even if the bike were brand new, it would only be $8,600. Most new liter bikes from what I see around in the $15,000-$20,000 price range.
Different machines, different prices.
A Mercedes costs more than a Ford.

And I think you need to look a bit more.
I think that "most liter bikes" can be had new for well under $15K.

Now......a 1000 CC real racing bike will be more expensive but there are a LOT of different styles of bikes with liter size engines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts