Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1981 Suzuki 650GL that I just finished doing the 7K shim adjustment to. I am trying to seat the tachometer drive gear back in its place and it will not seat into the engine deep enough. It is off by the end distance to the gear telling me it is not pushed into the hole on the other side of the worm gear in the engine. It pulled out just fine, why won't it go back in? Does the engine drive line need to be rotated one way or another? I have the service manual, however, it is no help, it just says reinstall drive gear. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,688 Posts
Welcome.
I know nothing about this specific issue.
But I've been there MANY times before......knowing that I overlooked something simple and being mad at myself.

A wild guess is: Could the gear be backwards; that is are the two sides of it identical or does one side have a notch or groove that needs to go in a certain way ??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: I found out that the gasket I used was too thin causing the tachometer drive gear to not be able to seat properly. The gear must be installed prior to any torquing of the head cover. Had to tear it apart and replace with thicker gasket drive gear dropped in perfectly and then torque. Hope this helps someone else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts