Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my bike now for about 2 1/2 weeks. The one thing I really want to add is a tachometer. For the most part, I can hear the engine and know when to shift, but when I've got my full face helmet with the shield down I'm having problems sensing what the engine is doing.

Is there a recommendation on a good tach? Of course it has to look good.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've had my bike now for about 2 1/2 weeks. The one thing I really want to add is a tachometer. For the most part, I can hear the engine and know when to shift, but when I've got my full face helmet with the shield down I'm having problems sensing what the engine is doing.

Is there a recommendation on a good tach? Of course it has to look good.
This is a great tach, and it looks great.

Cobra Cruiser Tachometer - V-Star 950/1300 RTI03

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/installguides/BLV1-1725.pdf

Also available at Metric Thunder
http://www.metricthunder.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=01-1725&Category_Code=

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just put a Pro-One Tach on my V-Star 1100 Custom, it just bolts to the risers. Centrally located had to replace the risers as the new mounts weren't in a box formation but a trapezoid. I used straight risers from Bikers Choice, if I had it to do again and still may, I would use pullback type risers to angle the tach for better viewing. The risers required new bolts (Chrome 1/2" x 13 from Ace Hardware) and I had to enlarge the holes in the cable guide plate by about .040". I just used a 1/2" suicide Counter-Sink (no guide) to enlarge the hole. Six cutting edges on the CS versus two on a drillbit less chattering and binding. Had to unhook the Clutch cable and choke cable to facilitate the cable guide plate work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Enlarging V-Star Cable Guides

I had to enlarge the holes in the cable guide plate by about .040". I just used a 1/2" suicide Counter-Sink (no guide) to enlarge the hole. Six cutting edges on the CS versus two on a drillbit less chattering and binding. Had to unhook the Clutch cable and choke cable to facilitate the cable guide plate work.
I realize this thread is older than Moses.......but I'm reaching for straws here, hoping someone can tell me the easiest way to enlarge the holes in wifey's V-Star Classic cable guides to accommodate the larger bolts that came with her new Baron risers.

Would prefer NOT to have to remove all the cables to do this if possible.

Fulltilt.....I don't understand why/how you removed the clutch and choke cable (one side ONLY) but didn't have to take off the brake and throttle cables from the right side! What gives? How's you DO that??

Thanks (to anybody) for any tips/tricks.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
12,209 Posts
Any chance you could post a picture of the guide in question ?

You can do wonders with zip ties. ;)

An independent bike shop or custom bike maker in your area might be able to help too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts