Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone , On my Honda Dominator '96 the large filament in tail light globe burns bright when headlight on and the small filament comes on when brake applied. So the tail light is very bright and you don't notice the brake light coming on at all. Do you think reversing the contacts in the socket might help?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Unless you have changed the wiring I bet you have the wrong bulb, Off the top of my head I would guess you need an 1157. Double check what is in there now and take it to the parts store and compare, not all two filament bulbs are the same.

·
Super Moderator
13,458 Posts
Also it is possible, although rather difficult, to actually cram the bulb into the socket backwards.....or more accurately, 180 degrees rotated from what it should be.

Anyway, the first thing to do would be to get a new bulb, clean and inspect the socket and be very careful about how you install it.

What you describe can also be a sign of the common ground being missing, due to a broken wire or corroded socket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. I'll have a look at the socket. I already took the bike to a Honda dealership and a young bloke there tried a new globe but it had the same problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep that worked; just turned the spring loaded plug around within socket so contacts connect to globe other way round. Obviously a previous owner put it in wrong way around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts