Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
93 katana 600 peice of crap have someone comeing to look at it today that is hopefully goin to buy it an take this nightmare out of my life forever.

I'm so sick of pulling all the plastics off to work on nething... I used to think they were cool, I actually spent 400$ to put lower fairings on my 05 sv650s
but im just tired of it.

I've been through hell this week workin on this bike getting it to the point where someone can ride off with it an have it run properly..... finally the past two days i've gotten it to start (cold) just fine fires right up. I let it idle for like 20 min to try to get it warmed up because when its warm the idle drops an she stalls out i wanted to deal with that issue before someone bought it.

well 2 times i've let it idle for 20 ........... stalled an won't start back up seems like it overheated somewhat

then i start looking at the radiator (or what i thought was radiator) and theres no fan.........

i get online an look up parts on zuki website, an i cant find anythin on a radiator or a fan just oil cooler.............

so i call the dealer just to confirm that this is for real an that this bike really is air cooled ................. an i can't believe my ears when they tell me Yes there is no radiator or fan just an oil cooler.................

yes please forgive my ignorance because this was my old ladies bike an she rode it for about 15 min an dropped it an its just sat in my garage for the past 2 years an now were selling. because if i got to work on this pos for much longer im gona kill myself

·
M-J Member of the Month!!
2,758 Posts
Katanas are air/oil cooled. No fan at all on them. I had an '89 in 90/92. They are usually very reliable motorcycles if maintained and have not sat for 2 years. I am sure it is frustrating, but shouldn't be anything that can't be fixed. I don't know what you have tried so far and I am not a mechanic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its fixed........... i put new plugs changed air filter, new oil. new batt, new selonoid. had an issue with the vac lines attatched to gas tank ect, dealt with that. just today i took gas tank off to empty an put fresh gas in it managed to pull one of the fuel lines off the carb so i had to completely dismantle the dam thing pull the airbox out reconnect fuel line, reassemble.

the good news with that was i got to see how the throttle stop screw works an kinda clear up the frustration i had with that.

it just pisses me off because everytime you need to do something you have to dismantle half the bike...... i mean from my experience you have to completely remove the air box just to change the airfilter. an it wouldn't be so frustrating except the person that had it before me lost a couple bolts here an there.

i had to remove the mirror to take the side fairings off and the bolt placement is so narrow that its too tight for a standard socket or anyother kinda socket or wrench for that matter i litterally had to heat up socket with a lighter an force it in to kinda melt the plastic alil around it. needless to say i replaced those bolts with bolts that have philips heads on em. an during puting those new bolts in the female end where the bolt goes (welded to a bracket on inside of fairings ect) well it snapped off so i had to take windsheild off again and do a contortionist act to get my hand newhere near where the bolts coming in......... its a nightmare

i just took it for a lil ride around the block because it did cool down, started up took it for a ride, parked it. Hope i don't ever have to ride it again, person supposed to be coming at 130-2pm today to buy this thing i just hope to god they take it and be gone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm not a mechanic either but i've worked on enough cars and bikes to know when something was designed to be mechanic friendly or when the engineers just kinda slapped the stuff together in a way that you need a masters degree in engineolgy to take it apart an put it back together (as well as having a girl that fold herself up to fit in a 2x2ft box to get at the hard to reach stuff.

my sv for starters is a great mechanics bike very easy to work on. point no 1 the gas tank has a better hinge system where you can unscrew two bolts prop tank up with tool provided and do whatever you need to do. from the top of the bike you can rip it all the way down to the crank shaft. without takin off a single peice of body plastic.

im just pissed about it this is a good place to vent my frustration.

for those of you considering an older carbed bike........... save yourself the frustration and wait an get a newer bike that you don't have to do a dam thing cept periodic maint. theres enough maint. to deal with let alone have to fix, stuff all the time an deal with a bike thats hard to start if its under 75 degrees outside without have a can of starter fluid shoved up yar arse

·
M-J Member of the Month!!
2,758 Posts
Yes, sport bikes with full fairings are a pain to work on. Everything seems stuffed in there and a pain to get to. It can get very, very frustrating. And the Katana with that full wrap bodywork does not make matters any better.

Good job sticking with it and working everything out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was reading a couple other threads an it seems like im not the only one that feels this way, an no one has exactly challenged me on this. Usually if these bikes had an especially loved following i'd have at least a few people in here sayin " aaaa your an idiot that don't know how to work on bike" or like " these bikes are awsome somone should take your rachet set away from you"

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
I think most of us are more mature than that. We know it doesn't accomplish anything to argue against such a lame point. Maybe you need to rethink your expectations.

Katanas are well-appreciated by many.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I think most of us are more mature than that. We know it doesn't accomplish anything to argue against such a lame point.[/I] Maybe you need to rethink your expectations.

Katanas are well-appreciated by many.

I think it's WOOKIE that has something along those same lines in his signature, maybe I need to start taking his advice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just got a 2002 Katana 600, my first bike. I haven't had to tear it apart or get down to any mechanics at this point, so I can't exactly empathize or refute your frustration. I'm hoping that it doesn't come to hurling invectives at my machine in order to cope with how difficult the engineers made maintaining it. But I totally get the therapeutic benefits. I swear at just about everything else I own all the time. The real challenge is not breaking them even more trying to fix them.

My computer, for instance, is a home made frankenstein that is prone to overheating after about an hour of play. It's a blessing and a curse, because it lets me know when it's time to get my fanny up off the chair and do something else. But when I get really frustrated I either 1) try to fix the thing and wind up breaking it more b/c I'm so angry, or 2) give the thing a good kick, which winds up knocking something loose and creating a bigger problem.

Of course ... A computer is not a motorcycle. And I, like you, and far from a mechanic. I'm hoping that I won't be spoiled by a mechanical difficulty; but I'm also hoping that I can mature beyond the point where I'll be sorely frustrated to the point where I would give it up. And I honestly don't mean that as a dig against anyone, and certainly not against you Marky. Only that I completely understand how you can get so angry about having to take on a difficult project that's only made more difficult because of a damned plastic cover. Because maintenance is part of ownership, and it's part of the relationship you have with your vehicles. I wish you the best of luck finding a machine that you can have fun riding, and not have to flip out on when you're keeping her up.

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
I have to break in at this point, with a few stories about things along the way.

1) my old man was going to "get a deal" and had two old saws (that didn't run) and made one that did run. For awhile, anyway. Then he went and bought a new saw
2) bought a cheap motorcycle (for $300) and drove it for a year before the engine seized. Paid another $300 to put another engine in it.
3) picked up an old lawn mower, with a bit of futzing around, got it running and am still using it (a riding mower, so it was worth it).

The underlying point is - the guy buys a 16 year old crotch ro- performance bike.

then complains there is stuff wrong with it.

sometimes you get a deal, sometimes you don't.

me, my current ride is an old xs850 that I manage to coax past the 60 k mark, so I got a deal.

but it doesn't always work out that way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I,ve got an 04 gsx750f. And dude sometimes i swear when i forget to put fairing screws in someplace(that matter) i Swear my bike just laughs and calls me a dumb...! But man that's all part of having a passion for something. Yeah it pisses me off when i have to reinstall the lower cowl, or whatever. But when I'm done? I stare at it and think damn my bike looks good!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know its an old post but let me interject for a moment. Most Katana's I've come across were meant to have a special tool. Common tools 'should' work, but they will take some effort. I'm not saying you did anything wrong, just did the hard way. Most start problems on Kats are resolved by checking the plugs for fouling, cleaning the Carbs, and routine maintenance. I personally love the snot out of my 2000 kat 750. And you mentioned you went online looking for stuff, but Kat riders dot com would've given you answers to all the problems you had.

Sent from my phone

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's pretty much universally true for all bikes; along with replacing an old and tired battery.

The "you" you are addressing hasn't logged in since 2009.
Again, I knew it was an old post, but I just wanted to point out a couple of things that might help the next person that stumbles upon this thread.

Sent from my phone

1 - 16 of 16 Posts