Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other posts on this bike are done
I have a really dumb question ? How do I know if my cables are hooked up right and could I have reversed them or hooked up wrong ? When I watch the cables as I twist the throttle only the one cable does anything . I am assumiming this is a push pull throttle and one is just loose neither pushing or pulling ..
Now can someone info. me on how to correct this . Doesn't seem like it is just a matter of switching them around .
Help please
Arley

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to get a look at BOTH ends of the cables........to see where the one is not connected anymore.
It could be that the return cable has just "jumped off the track" at the carb end too.
They are both connected , but one does nothing . One opens the carbs the other just unwinds but stays in the track .

·
Registered
7,057 Posts
The push pull system relys on the cable return spring mounted within the linkage. The push cable doesnt actually push anything....it is a safety system fitted to prevent a stuck throttle situation. How it does it is beyond me as the return spring in the carb should do this.

The system can hang if the adjuster is too tight on that particular cable....also any kinks or roughness in the cable will cause it to hang. I always though it was multi carbed engines only that had this system. Check the cables are fully in the linkage they must come from opposite sides of the throttle actuator plate. also there will be a spring that pullls the actuator baqck from open throttle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The push pull system relys on the cable return spring mounted within the linkage. The push cable doesnt actually push anything....it is a safety system fitted to prevent a stuck throttle situation. How it does it is beyond me as the return spring in the carb should do this.

The system can hang if the adjuster is too tight on that particular cable....also any kinks or roughness in the cable will cause it to hang. I always though it was multi carbed engines only that had this system. Check the cables are fully in the linkage they must come from opposite sides of the throttle actuator plate. also there will be a spring that pullls the actuator baqck from open throttle.
Thanks again , explains this very well .
Seems the same symptoms as before has stared again . It will only run for a few seconds ( high rev idol ) before dying again .

·
Registered
7,057 Posts
Just had a thought the 'push' cable would be used as a positive closing device by twisting the throttle grip closed manually as apposed to letting springs do the job in a hang throttle slide situation.

The engine dying has to be fuel related...check inside the tank for debris/rust also the fuel valve and lines. The carb jets may have become contaminated if this is the case and will have to be cleaned again.

·
Super Moderator
13,463 Posts
Just had a thought the 'push' cable would be used as a positive closing device by twisting the throttle grip closed manually as apposed to letting springs do the job in a hang throttle slide situation.
Yes that's how it works.
And if it is adjusted with too much slack, it would appear like it is not connected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts