Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a '01 GSXR 1000 and there is a slight problem with it.

If you slowly twist the throttle, you can go all the way through the RPMs smoothly, however, if you go past about 3/4 turn then the RPMs die out and go down to about 7, and stick there...

The bike has a Hindle slip on (I dont think it has a full exhaust) it did have a power commander on the bike, but it was taken off before I got it.

Could the power commander being taken off have caused this problem?
Has anyone heard of anything similar to this problem?
If I get a new power commander would this fix my problem?

thanks.

· Premium Member
14,233 Posts
First question - When do you need to take a Gixxer 1000 over 3/4 throttle? Are you trying to go supersonic?

You probably have to have the FI reprogrammed to cope with the fact that the PC is no longer there. I'm guessing, but that makes the most sense to me.

HTH!

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the problem is very annoying when going about 90 in 4th and you are trying to pick up speed, but you are only at about 8k RPMs. so you try and twist it a little more, only to wind up going much slower at about 7k RPMs.

or if you just wanna pick the bike up in second, you should be able to do that on a Gixxer 1K without having to pop the clutch... all it should take is a little twist of the throttle, but I cant evne do that, because I cant twist the throttle all the way.

so uhh, how does one go about reprogramming the fuel injection?

· Registered
1,081 Posts
TPS's can be checked for linearity. Disconnect it from the harness (at the throttle body) and use a voltmeter (set it to check for resistance) connected to the jack on the throttle body and slowly open and close the throttle while observing the voltmeter for very smooth increase and decrease in resistance value.

When trouble shooting, always look for the easy stuff first. For instance, the throttle should "feel" consistant throughout its range of rotation. If you can feel a steady build up of resistance while twisting the throttle then you may have some sort of obstruction.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there was some kind of obstuction or something at first, it only let me twist the throttle about half way. but that is not there any more, now the throttle twists all the way through smoothly, it's just that once it gets a little over half, or about at 3/4 turn, then it craps out, and the rpm's drop to about 7...

· Registered
3 Posts
check this out

hey, well, heres my input from my experience with power commanders. If you put exhaust on a bike, it is almost inevidably a necessity to get some kind of fuel pressure regulator, which the power commander helps to take care of. Once the power commander is put in, the bike is re-configured to accomodate these new add-ons. If you take the power commander away, the configuration gets all messed up and that is probably where that flat spot is coming from. My suggestion, if you have the resources, would be to get another power commander, or take your bike in to your local dealer and have it reconfigured without the power commander to get rid of the flat spot. (The flat spot is because there is no more regulation as to the fuel pressure when talking about the fuel injectors, so when you get to that certain RPM range every time, then the fuel injectors just aren't giving you the output of fuel pressure they should be and they need to be re-configured or you should just go get a power commander or a TFI unit or something. Hope this helps.

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the input, but it's not exactly a "flat spot" that I am dealing with here.

again, if i gradually ease onto the throttle, then i can rev straight through the RPMs, all the way to red line. it's only if i roll it past about 3/4 of a turn that it dies out.

let say that in 1st gear i can hit red line at a little under half a turn of the throttle, well, if i keep twisting it, past half, to about 3/4, then it RPMs die out, and "stick" at about 7...

but I will prob go ahead and be gettin a power commander...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.