Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m 5’3”, 120lbs and not very strong. I recently bought a Harley sportster 883 iron. Riding is no problem at all but I’m really struggling to back it up. My feet aren’t flat on the ground and it’s heavier than my previous bike (rebel cmx250) so straddling the bike to back up is not an option. Ive tried getting off to back it up but I unfortunately ended up dropping it doing that... any tips or tricks to help?

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
Welcome.
You probably won't like the first answer......which is that you have more bike than you should have.

It is mostly a matter of experience.

You should NEVER park the bike "nose DOWN".
That might mean that you can't park in the row with others you ride with.
Find a place where you will be comfortable.
Check your ego at the door.

That is why you see bikes backed into the curb at a 45 degree angle......because backing downhill into a space is
relatively easy. Then you can just go out straight.

You might also want to visit a Harley shop or 3 and see what can be done to lower you an inch or two.
A thinner seat usually is the easiest way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice. I think I’ll try calling some shops in my neighborhood to see if it can be lowered. I always backed my rebel into spaces but my feet were flat on that bike.

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
OK well I could do that with my GZ 250 too.
But the Sportster probably weighs 3X as much.
Getting your feet flat should help.......as well as having "grippy" soles on your boots too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve been riding in timberland boots. I’ll look into getting some real motorcycle boots. Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
Thank you for the advice. I think I’ll try calling some shops in my neighborhood to see if it can be lowered.
Just to clarify:
There likely is a custom kit that really will lower the whole bike a couple of inches or more
but those often result in poor handling, a rough ride and are VERY expensive.
I do NOT recommend doing that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts