Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
A known problem being ignored by a so called reputable manufacturer is par for the course these days...having to shell out for an extended warrenty to cover for its possible occurance is peoples way of accepting it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
All the makers have stuff that goes wrong.
The problem with jap v twins is that the motor has to come out of the frame to do many of the repairs.
If you put a lot of miles on the bike and it has a major repair it ends up not worth doing.Throw it away !
In my case I can at least keep riding so that's just what I'll do.

JJ

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
You know I remember when the Japs trashed the British motorcycle industry in the early60's and 70's....better more reliable machines....seems the Japs are hankering for a taste of their own medicine.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The british bikes that they trashed were junk compared to a Stratoliner.
I would be on my 4th or 5th top end by now as well as leaking motor,crappy electrics,awful carbs,etc.
The new Triumphs are as good as the Strat but parts/service are pricey.

JJ

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well i guess it's my turn. 06 Stratoliner with 28,750 miles on it. Not just a third gear problem, the whole transmission gave out. I live in NE Wisconsin so I don't get to ride as much as I would like but my bike is in pristine condition until this calamity. Dealer is telling me 1500 to 2Gs to fix. Absolutely love this bike and I have owned 3 yamahas, a gold wing, a heritage softtail classic and a full assortment of dirt bikes. This road bike fits me the best and is a pleasure to drive. Purchased it in 2007 with 3,000 miles on it and is the first catastrophic failure I have ever had with riding over 35 years. Biggest problem is losing the three weeks of precious riding time while waiting for the diagnosis, parts and repairs to complete. :(

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Like I said back in 2013 Jap bikes having issues such as this is dismal...not fixing it and (apparently) denying it exists has become their fall back position. I wouldnt bother dealing with the local importer go directly to the top...Japan.

Yamaha are not alone in this sort of thing, many Hayabusa gearboxes had problems also alternators burning out...Honda had major problems with their regulator rectifier modules so did Suzuki. Yamaha R1's had gearbox failures across several years...haven't heard about Kawasaki problems but dont get started on the Italian marques...the list is almost endless.

In this day and age it appears quality has now become a casualty of financial pressure. Funny thing is that is exactly how the Japs were able to decimate the British bike industry..seems they didn't learn or have forgotten.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Harley's been getting away with this stuff for years.
No matter how many issues a harley rider might have with his bike he still remains loyal to the brand. Sick !

JJ

21 - 34 of 34 Posts