Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I stop my 2001 intruder 800 with 10,000 miles, and try to put it in first it's very difficult and sometimes bangs the gears. To me it seems the clutch is not pushing out far enough. Any Ideas! I'm new to Motercycles.

·
Super Moderator
12,688 Posts
Yes you may have too much play in the clutch cable.

BUT.....the first time you put it into gear after starting it will almost ALWAYS "bang".
All metric bikes are that way and there is no "fix".
After it warms up, the shift from N to 1 should be less noisy.

THEN.....unless you KNOW that you will be stopped for a long time, it is best to get into the habit of shifting into first just before coming to a complete stop and keep the clutch pulled in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply. I bleed the clutch master cylinder and it helped some. But I didnt know the info yo gave about a metric bike.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
You may also find an oil change might help...bikes share the engine oil with the gearbox in almost all cases.

·
Super Moderator
12,688 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I bleed the clutch master cylinder and it helped some. But I didnt know the info yo gave about a metric bike.
OK, so now I'm confused.
The link to a manual that somebody posted seems to indicate that the clutch is CABLE operated.
Maybe that manual is for a different model ??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes you may have too much play in the clutch cable.

BUT.....the first time you put it into gear after starting it will almost ALWAYS "bang".
All metric bikes are that way and there is no "fix".
After it warms up, the shift from N to 1 should be less noisy.

THEN.....unless you KNOW that you will be stopped for a long time, it is best to get into the habit of shifting into first just before coming to a complete stop and keep the clutch pulled in.
Yeah, what he said. Plus, from my limited experience, the shifting feels considerably heavier on my Boulevard than it was on my previous sport bike. Starting it up, especially cold, it's hard to get 1st if I keep the clutch in. I let out the clutch in neutral for a second and pull it back in, then it clunks into gear like a tractor. And I always, always try to get it into first before I get completely to a stop.

·
Super Moderator
12,688 Posts
Thank you for your reply.
I though I was doing something wrong.
Please don't leave us hanging like that.
Which kind of clutch DO you have ?
And what have you decided IS the problem......if there really is one ??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is hydronic clutch. bled it and it helped considerably. Now when put in gear it dosent jump on me amymore.
It does clunk slightly from neutral, but you Guys say that a metric thing
Sorry for the hold up! As I unfold this bike it' a suprise every day. I Had an electrical issue and discovered that the last owner broke the power wire out of the solenoi and just stuck it back in the hole! New one on the way.

·
Super Moderator
12,688 Posts
Yes, the clunk is normal......especially when cold.

If the problem with the clutch comes back, you may have a failing piston at one end or the other.........or there may be a leak in the line somewhere drawing in air.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Checked for leaks in line ok cover off and no sign of fluid around slave cylender. Checked fluid level good.
I'll keep an ear on it and let you know if it comes back. Thank you so much for your responce and patients.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts