Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm only a week old with my 2006 C50T but have a crazy question. I notice a lot of turbulence when I get above 60mph. It is so bad that it moves my head around pretty good.

I am curious about the affect sliding the windshield up to its maximum height would have. I would when I sit up straight my eye line is easily two to three inches above the windshield.

Another thought I had, could it be the helmet I was using? Just today my brand spanking new HJC Sy Max II came in and I have not had a chance to try it out.

Thank you for the input.
Fred

·
Super Moderator
12,351 Posts
I am curious about the affect sliding the windshield up to its maximum height would have.

Another thought I had, could it be the helmet I was using?
While somebody with a similar bike can give rough guesses that might be helpful, you are just gonna have to TRY it and see......changing the windshield height, that is.

Different helmets have different noise levels but seldom have an impact on actual turbulence......unless maybe it is from air coming up from the bottom.

You need to find a lightly travelled, open flat highway and get up to the offending speed and slowly wave your left arm around.....up, side to side and down and find out where the offending air is coming FROM before you try to decide on a solution. It might need lowers.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
There was a guy who once added a few small streamers to help identify where the wind was coming from.

If I remember correctly it was from the bottom of the windscreen and he got "lowers" for the sheild which resolved his particular issue.

·
I took the All Bran Challenge
7,753 Posts
I have an 05 C50SE, which is the same as yours.
I have my windshield at max height and have no turbulence. I am only5'7''.
I have a Mustang seat which raises me up 1" above stock. I have just over 30,000 miles on the Bike.

Adjust the height and try it. As others have said you may need lowers.

·
Super Moderator
12,351 Posts
yep lowers....;)
Before everybody who has turbulence issues runs right out and buys lowers......;)

In many cases, it IS possible to minimize the problem by getting the shield set at the proper height and angle. If the offending air is coming under the shield, standing it more upright might help. Leaving more (or less) space over the headlight might help too.

It depends on the shield and the bike, of course, and at some point you just say "screw it" and get the lowers......but you often need to fiddle with them a bit too.

It took me about 15 years and about 7 different models to find a shield that I really like; then it takes me about 3 months to get it set right on each different bike I get (same model shield on 5 different bikes now) but I have yet to find a real "need" for lowers on anything. Most all of my ventillation comes under the shield; I fear with lowers I would COOK (more) in the summer time.

My MS Santa Cruz does have pretty long lower "skirts" on it......which might act somewhat like lowers to begin with.....maybe.

YMMV !! :bluethum:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone. Sorry for the slow reply.

Here is what I did to solve it. As many have pointed out I did the ride and wave the hand around. It was really hard to find the true problem like that. I raised the windshield to its max height and took it for a ride. It seem to help a lot but the top edge of the windshield was right at eye level. Kind of annoying.

Next, I took the top bolts out of the adjusting holes, angled the windshield out toward the front of the bike and reinstalled the bolts. Now the upper bolts are tightened down against the back edge of the mount. This pushed the windshield further forward and raised it a bit.

Today I had the bike up to 85 mph and it was fine. No head bobble.

Now I am off to find out why my hands keep falling asleep at higher speeds. Got some kind of buzz in the handgrips. Bummer.

Fred

1 - 9 of 9 Posts