Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speaking of bikes falling off the kickstand, it happened to me the other day. My 1400 Intruder did a slow motion nosedive while I was running to try and save it. Luckily, the only real damage (besides a bent footpeg) happened to the front left turn signal.

I have ordered the signal, and the service manual shows it having a plug in the electrical line so that the whole unit can be replaced, but I cannot seem to find the plug. Has anyone replaced this turn signal, and can it be done by a layman, or should the job be left to the professionals?

I asked the parts person when I ordered the light, and he was very confident that I would be able to do the repairs myself. You are supposed to take the screw out of the signal post that holds it to the forks, pull the post out, and the electrical cable, along with the plug, are supposed to pull out of the forks. When I tried removing the signal, all I found was very little slack in the cable, and no plug. Other than showing the part, the service manual doesn't show any procedures to accomplish this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I replaced a rear turn signal. It had a connector, but the whole brake light assembly seemed to be hard-wired to the bike. Major PITA. There has to be a connector, but it may be strain-relieved where you can't see it.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
The connector is inside the headlight bucket. Take off the two screws at the bottom that hold the ring on (NOT the two screws on the front of the ring that adjust the headlight) and pull the headlight out. Behind it is a rat's nest of wires- pull on the feed to the bad turn signal to tell which one you want to unplug.
When you put the headlight back together, put a little clear sealer around the ring and tighten the screws very tight, and let the sealer dry before you ride. otherwise the ring will vonrate and drive you nuts when you ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts