Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 ZZR600 and recently replaced all the fairings and the existing LED front turn signals with new ones. Added the included resistors to both sides and when i turned the bike on the turn signals no longer work nor the dash light for them. Already replaced fuse and relay and dont know what else it could be.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
The only things it could be since you checked the fuse are the switch itself and the flasher unit....which I assume you mean by relay. If the new turn signals are a different output then the flasher unit may not be able to run them....also the resistors may be too high for the flasher to work. I would remove them and see what happens....remember though it may damage the led's...probably not but you never know.

Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only things it could be since you checked the fuse are the switch itself and the flasher unit....which I assume you mean by relay. If the new turn signals are a different output then the flasher unit may not be able to run them....also the resistors may be too high for the flasher to work. I would remove them and see what happens....remember though it may damage the led's...probably not but you never know.

Good luck
I got a flasher relay that was capable of running LEDs because I thought the same. Im gonna remove the resistors tomorrow when I take it to the shop. The dash lights for the turn signals werent working prior to installing the new ones either. They worked when the old ones were on then I cut the wires and I wanted to check the back turn signals and nothing came on.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Did you reconnect the wires when you fitted the new LEDs? The dash light/s may be a separate issue and as simple as a blown bulb....often there is only one that illuminates a single indicator light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you reconnect the wires when you fitted the new LEDs?
What do you mean reconnect the wires? I cut them where the old leds connected which were butt connectors and then refitted the new ones with butt connectors into the resistor which I was told resistors have no polarity so and the wires dont have different colors. Im starting to think its the actual switch that turns them on since my dash signals dont come on either

·
Super Moderator
13,850 Posts
Im starting to think its the actual switch that turns them on since my dash signals dont come on either
Could be. But those dash lights often won't come on if there is a fault ANYWHERE that prevents the main signals from blinking.
What about the REAR signals ? Do they come on at all ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could be. But those dash lights often won't come on if there is a fault ANYWHERE that prevents the main signals from blinking.
What about the REAR signals ? Do they come on at all ??
Rear signals dont come on either, theyre integrated into brake lights and worked, thats why im thinking its the switch. But going off of what your saying I should be able to put power to one of the front turn signals and it should power on the dash turn signal with it?

·
Super Moderator
13,850 Posts
I should be able to put power to one of the front turn signals and it should power on the dash turn signal with it?
NO. Absolutely NOT recommended. Applying power "manually" may burn out something.

You need to FORGET about the dash lights and find out what is causing the overall failure of the signals.
Unless you screwed up the wiring really bad, they will start working when the others do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NO. Absolutely NOT recommended. Applying power "manually" may burn out something.

You need to FORGET about the dash lights and find out what is causing the overall failure of the signals.
Unless you screwed up the wiring really bad, they will start working when the others do.
Thank you for your help, today I realized everytime I started the bike the fuse would pop for turn signals. at first I thought it was the relay since it wouldnt do it if I took it off. I went through about 5 fuses before I listened to your suggestion that they shouldnt need resistors and sure enough they started working perfectly as soon as I took them off.

·
Super Moderator
13,850 Posts
I listened to your suggestion that they shouldnt need resistors and sure enough they started working perfectly as soon as I took them off.
Experience is the best teacher.
I have made a LOT of mistakes along the way.......and happen to have a good memory to be able to pass along what I have learned from them.
Glad I could help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Experience is the best teacher.
I have made a LOT of mistakes along the way.......and happen to have a good memory to be able to pass along what I have learned from them.
Glad I could help.
Thanks again. Would you happen to know why my front brake lever is dripping brake fluid after I installed a new lever? it drops it slowly and only when I apply brakes I assume. Theres about 3-6 drops on my duct cover at the end of a ride

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
You may find the plunger is pushing too far into the MC or the seal has been damaged fitting the lever...or pulling the old one off. You would do well to clean any spillages up immediately as brake fluid will strip any painted surface and damage ABS plastic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You may find the plunger is pushing too far into the MC or the seal has been damaged fitting the lever...or pulling the old one off. You would do well to clean any spillages up immediately as brake fluid will strip any painted surface and damage ABS plastic.
So lowering the pull setting from 6 to say 3 would stop the spillage if it was the plunger?

·
Super Moderator
13,850 Posts
So lowering the pull setting from 6 to say 3 would stop the spillage if it was the plunger?
No, probably not.
The "pull setting" should only affect the position of the lever that your fingers pull.
The mechanism that pushes the plunger should still have the same limited travel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, probably not.
The "pull setting" should only affect the position of the lever that your fingers pull.
The mechanism that pushes the plunger should still have the same limited travel.
Yea I dont know exactly what I was thinking about but I seem to have fixed it by adding a washer. it had some play and was dripping off the nut that holds it on

1 - 17 of 17 Posts