Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh wise ones -

I managed to pop the horn button off the assembly with my impeccably manicured nails while cleaning my bike. The little widgets holding the button in broke off and I am looking at having the pleasure of buying a new Left hand switch assembly - horn, light, turn. .

:stupid:

So, it looks as if my legit options are:
1) fork over $160 for an oem version and I am not even sure why one I need (there are two on the OEM websites, and no mention what the diff is)
2) buy a dodgy used one on Ebay
3) buy an aftermarket assembly from K&S which is made for 7/8 handlebars and superglue it onto my 1' standard bars (tempting!!!)
or 4) trust the combined wisdom of this forum to guide me through the process.

Weather is great, ike is stuck in garage.

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
13,458 Posts
Weather is great, ike is stuck in garage.

Does anyone have any ideas?
My first "idea" is: MY bike would not be "stuck in the garage" just for lack of a horn.

Then......the wires for the horn switch (located behind the broken button) could be connected to any kind of push button switch if you could mount it to the bars.

Since all you really need is the button, a used switch assembly in almost any condition should work.
Just take both apart and put the "new" button in your "old" assembly.

P.S. Please post your questions in only ONE sub-forum on here.
Your other (identical) post has been deleted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all your answers. Well, my bike IS stuck because I tend to be a stickler about stuff like that. That horn is not very loud, but I can guarantee that I will use it if I ride without it. Probably to save small children from roaming zombies or something.

My concern over a used assembly is that it may be in equally breakable condition and may not last long. After all, I literally hit the plastic piece with my finger nail, and it broke off. From what I can see, the plastic part would need to be squished in there - the button connects with a spring to the contact and needs to be snapped into several grooves. With my luck, I will break the little nobbly things off again and have two non-working horn switches. There may be a way to disassemble the whole thing and put the button in from the back, but I am wary of backwards engineering the switch assembly.

I thought about an ugly-ish push button, but there are the aesthetics of the thing...

Is it crazy to just try to fit a 7/8 diameter assembly over my 1' bars and leave a gap between the connecting end bit of the clamp on the top and the bottom? Basically, this gap would be .2" top and bottom each.Seriously, I have no clue. Any thoughts are appreciated.

And point taken about the dual post - I apologize. I figured different people would lurk in different forums and could not decide whether this was a mechanical or Suzuki question.

·
Super Moderator
13,458 Posts
Thanks for all your answers. Well, my bike IS stuck because I tend to be a stickler about stuff like that.
OK well then.................
IF you are going to be picky and inflexible with the solution, then buy a NEW part (assembly) and do it right the first time.
Given all of the parameters you have listed, it looks to me like that it the ONLY practical solution.......for YOU.

Oh, and I don't remember the last time I used the horn on my bike.
If you use it a lot you probably should review your riding habits. :whistle:

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
But surely the new part will be as flimsy at the old one...you need to post a pic as most of the horn buttons I have seen and used are a lot more robust to the degree that a finger nail will not break them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts