Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 m90. Looking for mods to improve performance. Kn does not make an air filter so I cut apart a new kn and cut apart the existing filters and only thing I found that would glue things together and hold was superfast urethane. Put on cobra slashdown exaust. Put on power commander five module. Then bought the autotune module and welded in bung/ installed o2 sensor. Did not want to get into any motor machining. Overall I am disappointed with the performance. I am second guessing whether after these mods I have really gained much in performance from buying it new from the dealer. I do reallylove the looks, ride and how it handles and it is a bigger.heavier bike. But in my opinion seems to b a slug for what I was hoping for. Any suggestions would b appreciated. Thanks. Rich.

·
Super Moderator
12,160 Posts
Overall I am disappointed with the performance. I am second guessing whether after these mods I have really gained much in performance from buying it new from the dealer.
I think that the answer to that is a resounding NO.

I try to tell new riders that every chance I get but the fourms seem to be saturated with those who think that anyone who doesn't worship "bolt on" mods is just a trouble maker.

If you really NEED more power then BUY it. I hear that the Vmax is nice. :bluethum:

I've been riding for about 45 years and never with more than 600 CCs....up until very recently when I got a Vulcan 900.
I gotta say that guys who seldom ride 2-up or pull a trailer and complain about a ~1400 CC bike not having enough power leaves me somewhat puzzled.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Yeah there is very little you can do to increase power from stock. Unless there is some kind of design flaw with the bike itself that you are fixing, but that is RARE. Suzuki spent millions on engineers and developing your bike...I think they got the most out of that engine.

The best we can really do is change how the motor delivers the power, not so much on increasing the power. More low end or midrange, etc. Put new pipes on, you really shouldn't expect too much. It will sound different...

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Yup. All that money spent on those bolt-on mods were a waste. They will make more noise and use more gas, but do very little in the way of making more horsepower out of that engine. The M90 is what it is, and it is NOT a performance cruiser. It makes only about 67 horsepower in a very heavy 730 pound bike. Compare this to the Yamaha Warrior which makes 83 horsepower and weighs 80 pounds less, or the V-Rod that makes almost 100 horsepower and weighs 60 pounds less than the M90. If you want more then the M90, that's why Suzuki makes the M109r.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not sure what you expect to get out of this type of motorcycle, if speed is what you desire trade up for a GSXR.......

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Same here. When I asked the dealer if it was worth saving $3000 buying a 90 over the 109, he said I would be disappointed within a few weeks and wished I bought the 109. That's the power you're looking for.

·
Super Moderator
12,160 Posts
When I asked the dealer if it was worth saving $3000 buying a 90 over the 109, he said I would be disappointed within a few weeks and wished I bought the 109.
I bet he tells that to ALL of the guys !! :whistle:

:lol4:

No, seriously, he makes more money......and he has no way to tell if "YOU" will be disappointed with the 90 or not.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
LOL! Ken- you certainly have a point: what a SHOCK that the dealership recommended the most expensive model LOL!

But on the other hand, EVERYONE is disappointed with the M90. Unlike their other cruiser models, Suzuki does not even publish a HP number for it, and they did not make any for the 2010, 2011, and 2012 model years because it took them 4 years to sell all the 2009s- that should tell a buyer looking for a performance bike pretty much all they need to know. Folks step up from the slow M50, C50, or some other small bike and expect that the 1500cc M90, being twice as big, will be twice as powerful. But the M90 makes only 20% more power than the small M50, and is over 20% heavier, so it is pretty much universally agreed that the M90 is a slug. My local dealer has one, but when I sat on it he just shook his head and said, 'Bob, you would HATE that thing. Everyone hates that thing.' So in this case, I think it is fairly easy for a dealership to predict disappointment in the M90, as that seems to be the almost universal opinion.
So today's lesson is that it is the buyer's responsibility to do the proper research and choose the correct model, and that you should NEVER buy a vehicle without test riding it first. AFTER you get it home, let alone drop a grand on worthless mods, is not the time to figure out that you bought a slug.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I bet he tells that to ALL of the guys !! :whistle:

:lol4:

No, seriously, he makes more money......and he has no way to tell if "YOU" will be disappointed with the 90 or not.
I know a pitch myself. This came from the guy who wasn't making the sale.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
When a salesman gets honest.....it's often hard to tell.

Anyhow, I couldn't pass up the chance to make a smart-assed remark !! :mrgreen:
I know and it would be obvious to think that you should always buy the top of the line in the best interest of the salesman. I already knew the 90's were getting bad reviews before the return to the states. The new ones apparently are the same animal. :D

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I've been riding for about 45 years and never with more than 600 CCs....up until very recently when I got a Vulcan 900.
I gotta say that guys who seldom ride 2-up or pull a trailer and complain about a ~1400 CC bike not having enough power leaves me somewhat puzzled.
me in full gear is ~270 lbs. it might as well count as 2up.

Suzuki spent millions on engineers and developing your bike...I think they got the most out of that engine.
i dunno. there are a bunch of 1300-1500 bikes out there and very few have the complaints that the m90 does. for starters it gets worse gas mileage than the 109 at freeway speeds. and it competes with bikes 200cc smaller and loses.

i rode a m90 before i bought my fat bob (tc96). and it rode pretty much like my m50. you had to rev it hard to get it to move. and cruising at 80 was revvy. if you dont mind revvy it'll get ya there just fine. i think thats the disconnect between suzuki and the cruiser market. people with large displacement engines dont want revvy ( heck its the reason i upgraded from my m50) . im thinking if the gears were spaced out more so that 5th was a cruising gear or it had a 6th gear that was essentially lugging around at 75mph( 2700 rpm on my fatbob), then people would have a different opinion of the bike.

personally if i want revvy i'll get a crotch rocket and hit the freeway in 3rd.

Yup. All that money spent on those bolt-on mods were a waste. They will make more noise and use more gas, but do very little in the way of making more horsepower out of that engine. The M90 is what it is, and it is NOT a performance cruiser. It makes only about 67 horsepower in a very heavy 730 pound bike. Compare this to the Yamaha Warrior which makes 83 horsepower and weighs 80 pounds less,
the stock 2009 warrior puts out ~75hp at the rear wheel according to their forums.

while a coupla grand in upgrades will get you more hp and torque outta an m90 that same coupla grand would probably have got you into the 109 instead.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
LOL! Ken- you certainly have a point: what a SHOCK that the dealership recommended the most expensive model LOL!

But on the other hand, EVERYONE is disappointed with the M90. Unlike their other cruiser models, Suzuki does not even publish a HP number for it, and they did not make any for the 2010, 2011, and 2012 model years because it took them 4 years to sell all the 2009s- that should tell a buyer looking for a performance bike pretty much all they need to know. Folks step up from the slow M50, C50, or some other small bike and expect that the 1500cc M90, being twice as big, will be twice as powerful. But the M90 makes only 20% more power than the small M50, and is over 20% heavier, so it is pretty much universally agreed that the M90 is a slug. My local dealer has one, but when I sat on it he just shook his head and said, 'Bob, you would HATE that thing. Everyone hates that thing.' So in this case, I think it is fairly easy for a dealership to predict disappointment in the M90, as that seems to be the almost universal opinion.
So today's lesson is that it is the buyer's responsibility to do the proper research and choose the correct model, and that you should NEVER buy a vehicle without test riding it first. AFTER you get it home, let alone drop a grand on worthless mods, is not the time to figure out that you bought a slug.
I have been recently considering a new M90 as a trade up from my M50. They still have a few new M90s for sale here in Australia. But they are 2009/2010 models being sold as new. They have sat on the dealership floors for over 3 years. Old technology, physically old machines; you are purchasing older machines at a new price. Just not such a good buy, in my opinion.

I passed and went for a Victory Judge (pick her up Saturday, yay).

Sorry to the OP, we are not saying much to make you feel better.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I have been recently considering a new M90 as a trade up from my M50. They still have a few new M90s for sale here in Australia. But they are 2009/2010 models being sold as new. They have sat on the dealership floors for over 3 years. Old technology, physically old machines; you are purchasing older machines at a new price. Just not such a good buy, in my opinion.

I passed and went for a Victory Judge (pick her up Saturday, yay).

Sorry to the OP, we are not saying much to make you feel better.
I rode the Judge. She's a looker and 6th gear is nice. Getting a black one?

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Interesting choice- Victory is a pretty rare brand even here in the US. I'm guessing with only 8 Victory dealerships in the entire country, your chances of parking next to another red Judge are slim LOL! Enjoy the new ride- it is a good one. And thank you for buying American.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Interesting choice- Victory is a pretty rare brand even here in the US. I'm guessing with only 8 Victory dealerships in the entire country, your chances of parking next to another red Judge are slim LOL! Enjoy the new ride- it is a good one. And thank you for buying American.
I'm surprised Victory are pretty rare in the US. I thought (usually patriotic) Americans would be all over them. At least you have a few Australians taking up the slack to support the US economy.

Did you know the second oldest Harley dealership in the world is in Australia? Ah we are too good to you guys...

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
LOL! We appreciate your dollars in our trade balance, even if they are Australia dollars worth 91 cents American LOL!

Victory is a very minor player in the US, with less than a 2% market share. This places them not only well behind Harley (which outsells Victory over 25 to 1) but also well behind Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and even BMW & Triumph, about tied with Ducati. Victory had some very real problems with quality and dealership support for the first few years, and their first generation bikes were openly modeled after the Honda Shadow, so US buyers have not fallen in love with them the same way they did with Harley. Victory now sells excellent bikes, very well designed and very well built. But to the US, Victory is an upscale metric brand equal to the best from Japan, and Harley is something entirely different, still the only uniquely American brand. When it comes to heavyweight cruisers Harley sells 5 times as many as all other brands combined. Harley has the highest percentage of repeat buyers of any major brand, and the Harley logo is the number one tattoo in the US. No other motorcycle company can even come close to the brand loyalty, sales success, and outright obsession that Harley has in the US.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts