Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, as i poke around the web, i stumble across UM. they seem to focus on the central american market, but also sell into the usa. anyone ever seen one in person, or tried to ride one? what's the skinny on these things?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
surprisingly, i heard about them from the Sport Rider page under 2007 sportbike roundup.

seems most of their bikes are powered by the same 650cc v-twin, be it sport, cruiser (a total v-rod ripoff on that one!), or standard.

WELCOME TO UM USA

·
Registered
199 Posts
yeah they import koreans Hyosung, I am looking at getting my wife either the 250 or the 650 cruiser. She likes both.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
These bikes are simply Hyosung bikes imported by a third party (as Hyosung does not have any dealers in the US), and were previously imported by "Alphasports". I see them every now and then, as Alphasports was right down the road, here in GA. There are no changes for the US market, and they even still say "Hyosung" on the tank.
The v-rod looking thing is the Hyosung GV650 Avitar, and if you do a Google search you will find plenty of information on them. The bikes are made in Korea. The small bikes (like the dirt bikes and 250cc models) are licensed copies of Suzuki models that are not sold in North America. The motor in the larger bikes is a 650 twin designed by Suzuki in 1995 or so, and now built under license by Hyosung.
The bikes get good reviews for initial quality, performance, and features, but not so good reviews for durability- some owner reviews tell tales of quality issues like chrome peeling off after less than two years. But the biggest problem is service and support: I hear plenty of stories about the bikes sitting for months because dealers simply can not get parts for repairs or warranty work, and because the bikes come from a thrid-party there is no support at the corporate level.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I actually and seriously considered buying the 650 Avitar at first. Hyosung was a parts manufacturer for Suzuki for years when they decided to offer there own line. I've also heard stories about bad quality, but the worst problem is the lack of dealers/parts... The brand has been sold for years in Korea and about 5-6 years here in the States, but you will be hard pressed to find ANY upgrades or mods worth talking about. If you're looking at buying one, consider those points. The only local dealer for me is about 10 miles away and thats a small, 1 man operation. The next closest authorized location is FAR(75-100 miles) If the local guy were to close, riders here would be screwed for warrenty work.

I will say that even the crusier model was influenced by the sport bikes they sell. I was really impressed with their style even without mods. The 650 just looks hot.

·
Dastardly villain
1,700 Posts
I saw the GV650 and the V2650 at a motorcycle swap meet...nothin impressive in my book. I dunno, I couldn't see myself getting one.

·
Registered
151 Posts
BTW, hopefully it was changed with this years model but i don't know. Beware the digital display! The green LCD display looks awsome on the display floor inside. Outside in full sunlight the display is completely useless. I noticed that with my own two eyes. I never rode it, but the dealer took it out so i could start it up and thats when I noticed.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh, no, i'm not interested in buying one of these - just interested in who they are and what their history is (if any). i've heard of the hyosung stuff and they even had a display at a bike show i went to a month ago. no worries - i'm sticking with the major manufacturers.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dzimmer said:
Wow. I can't believe the misinformation in this thread alone.

feel free to correct us and inform of the hard truth about UM. i just saw them once, so i'm kinda interested in who they are. are the the new Hyundai Pony?

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
:horse:
dzimmer said:
Wow. I can't believe the misinformation in this thread alone.
:horse:

·
Registered
7 Posts
GregR1 said:
feel free to correct us and inform of the hard truth about UM. i just saw them once, so i'm kinda interested in who they are. are the the new Hyundai Pony?
No prob. There is some truth in stuff said here (rebadged Hyosungs) but still...I wouldn't base everything off one person's experience (I feel bad for Cliff). They're nice bikes. 70hp at the rear wheel and belt drive. Nice styling.

The reliability or the Avitar, however, honestly isn't really known and any comments on long term reliability is purely subjective. Why? Because they haven't been available that long -- The bike is only in it's second model year! If they get good "initial" reviews (okay, except for excessive, cheap plastic chrome that should be more of an accent than a color scheme) why is the prediction poor long term reliability? Looks great, rides great, but but there's a reliability issue... Why?

The GT650R on the other hand had severe engine problems back in 2005 (first model year) due to a fresh air recirculation system that injected cold air onto hot valves, ultimately causing them to break. Obviously a broken valve inside an engine isn't good but that was quickly rectified.

Sh#t happens. Wasn't the Suzuki M50 recently recalled for serious electrical problems? If someone said the Hyosung's were recalled for that it would just be another example for someone to use in support of them being a cheap (crappy) bike manufacturer. However, Suzuki, on the other hand, who should have done better by the same standards and at this stage of the game, is hailed and seen as being a proactive, concerned manufacturer.

ALso while the 650 engine is likened to Suzuki's (in the SV650) it was designed by, and is built by Hyosung. They both use the same Mikuni carbs (the early 200x models) but thats about as close as they get.

Start here re UM:

United Motors 2007 Lineup - MotorcycleUSA.com

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
For starters, the Hyosung Aquila/ GV650/ Avitar/ V2C-650S (the name varies by country and importer) is in its fourth year of production, not second. They've been in this country for three. Only UM is new to the game, and as I mentioned before they were previously imported by Alphasports. Hyosung has been making bikes since 1979, so any reputation they have is based on the last 28 years.

Nothing is based on one person's experience. There are dozens of reviews of Hyosung cruisers online from owners in new Zealand, Australia, Canada, and the US. All pretty much say the same thing- impressive bike for the price at first. But those from owners who have had them for a while and put some miles on them say they don't hold up well. I've personally seen three year old '05 models kicking around here that look like they are much older, and that's with the previous importer right down the road.

No one likened the motor to the one in the Suzuki SV650. But Hyosung's own press release from 2004 says that it is a Suzuki designed motor.

I've actually considered one as a good first bike for a girl I know, as there was a used 05 at a local shop, only 900 miles on it and $3500 out the door, no warranty. Ran great. Looked like cheap crap. She got a used Honda VLX instead.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Thanks DrBob, your info has always been spot on in the past, it doesn't suprise me that your right again.:bluethum:

·
Registered
7 Posts
No disrespect DrBob. This is just a heathy debate. But spot on? Close... but not really...

From MotorcycleCruiser.com:

================================

Korea's Hyosung Motorcycles Sets Up U.S. Importer and Will Sell 650 Avitar

Korea's Hyosung Motors will import the new GV650 Avitar cruiser using its new American distributor is Augusta, Georgia.

Formerly imported under the Alphasports brand, South Korea's Hyosung Motors has established a distributor for the United States. Hyosung Motors America, Inc., located in Augusta, Georgia, will now import Hyosung's motorcycles to the United States under its own brand name. The sophisticated new GV650 Aquila cruiser will also be launched in the spring of 2006.

Our readers are probably most faimilar with Hyosung's products in the form of the AlphaSports GV250 cruiser, our favorite 250cc cruiser. Before Hyosung Motors America was set up, the Hyosungs were imported as Alphas and distrbuted in the U.S. by AlphaSports Motors, also in Augusta, Georgia.

The new 650 Avitar is due to arrive in early 2006.

With its new 647cc V-twins, Hyosung signals its intent to compete in market sectors beyond the 250cc and under category. It has recently started producing 650 models in both sporting and its new cruiser styles.

Hyosung's 250 cruiser, dubbed the Aquila, was our favorite when we compared 250s. It's currently $2895.

The new GV650 Avitar is a unique model, though the perimeter frame, two-into-one exhaust and 41mm inverted fork suggest a sporting influence, the adjustable forward footpeg location, pullback handlebar, long 66.9-inch wheelbase, and drawn-out 95.6-inch overall length say that it is defintely a cruiser. Despite its size, claimed dry weight is just 485 pounds. It has triple disc brakes, and uses a carbon-fiber-reinforced belt final drive. The fuel tank holds 4.5 gallons. The LCD instruments include a digital speedometer, and the taillight is a LED type.. It uses cast wheels and tubeless radial tires, a 120/70-ZR18 front and a 180/55-ZR17 rear.

The liquid-cooled 90-degree V-twin uses dual overhead camshafts driving four valves per cylinder. It has two 41mm Mikuni carbs and five speeds. The GV650 Avitar's suggested price is $6199.

Hyosung also makes a sporting-oriented 650 V-twin, in these three versions:

Hyosung GT650 Comet
Hyosung GT650S
Hyosung GT650R

Hyosung Motors and Machinery, Inc. is Korea's largest motorcycle manufacturer, building 200,000 motorcycles a year. The company has been building small motorcycles since 1979, when it started producing 80s and 125s under license from Suzuki. It introduced a 50cc moped of its own design in 1987, and started building bigger bikes (100cc) of its own design in 1996. It's first 650, the Comet, was announced in 2003. It also supplies components to Korea's burgeoning automobile industry.

Contact Information
Hyosung Motors America, Inc.
502 Shartom Drive
Augusta, GA 30907
Hyosung Website

·
Registered
7 Posts
ALso almost forgot...

How in the world can a bike be in it's 4th year of production when it wasn't even estimated to begin mass production until June 2005? And didnt' start remotely being sited until October 2005.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
dzimmer said:
ALso almost forgot...

How in the world can a bike be in it's 4th year of production when it wasn't even estimated to begin mass production until June 2005? And didnt' start remotely being sited until October 2005.
Well the simple answer to that is, it couldn't.

Maybe you better check again, because if you are talking about the 650, it's been around for a lot longer than that. For 07, they released their 10th year annivery.

United Motors 2007 Lineup - MotorcycleUSA.com

·
Cookie Monstress.
5,192 Posts
... interesting... didnt like the look of that 650cc cruiser tho... something wrong around the 90 deg V twin and the chrome engine cover.. not attractive at all.

·
Dastardly villain
1,700 Posts
tallannie said:
... interesting... didnt like the look of that 650cc cruiser tho... something wrong around the 90 deg V twin and the chrome engine cover.. not attractive at all.
:plus1:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts