Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2500 Ram has 18000 miles on it, we live in Florida however I pull a 10k lb travel trailer 50% of the time all over our beautiful country. Wanting to use a synthetic engine oil however told by the Dodge dealer I will void my warranty if used. I also read some helpful hints here. Would someone plz tell me why a synthetic oil would violate my warranty? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
I almost asked why you have a bike witha 6.7 litre in it.

My diesel has to have diesel specific oil in it. I presume the Cummins is a diesel and Im not sure you can get synthetic diesel specific oil can you? Anyway here in Australia you can take your vehicle to any service place and not void your warrenty....even to the extent of using some other brand of oil.

I guess if the motor blows up you may have an issue with Dodge saying it was the use of the wrong oil and would probably be left to you to persue the case at your cost.

·
Super Moderator
12,780 Posts
Your dealer LIED to you.

They can NOT, by law, specify what brand of oil and other replacement parts to use.
You certainly can use synthetic diesel oil that meets the spec's that they have in their owners manual.
A really LOT of diesel owners use Shell Rotella T6.

I'll be that same dealer would be happy to sell you his brand of synthetic oil......at 2 to 3 times the average market price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts