Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'07 V* 650, about 6k mi, oil & filter chgs on schedule
StaBil since '07 per dealer recomm., carb cleaner 3 x since '09 per dealer recomm. ('07 had fouled fuel line before 1st tank of gas through - dealer cleaned.) Ran crap-gas several times in '08 - '09.

Stored 3 wks pet cock open, ?? StaBil in tank (didn't realize we'd get one more snow). Hard to start, wouldn't warm up, wouldn't idle. Open throttle would stall if parked.

Changed oil (nothing odd), filters & oil o-ring, changed plugs, #2 had light colored piled up sticky fouling (pre-ignition, lean burn?). No gas smell on bike, in oil, on plug, or oil filter. Dealer said more carb cleaner ... had a big ride and had them check it out. Ten mile ride from my place to dealer after oil change.

Dealer said gas in oil, gas on plugs, gas coming over heads from stuck needle. Carbs done. Bike runs great. BUT - keep having strong gas smell while sitting.

Yesterday, 40 mi highway w/ passenger - great. 15 mi city, no passenger, stop & go group ride - smoking engine after 9 mi. Stopped for a photo op - 20 min. Bike still smoking, but made the last 6 mi. w/ 2 stalls. Several hours later, after about 2 mi in stop & go w/ passenger, bike started smoking intermittently. (Could see it around fins, last night -- in headlamp beam. Not from exhaust or a specific spot as I could tell. Front and sides of #2.

No burnt oil smell, no gas smell, no loss of power, no crunchy or sticky shifter or clutch - NO clue.

Gonna check oil level/condition now, but need help.

Confused non-tech/non-mech newbie.

·
Super Moderator
12,786 Posts
smoking engine after 9 mi. Stopped for a photo op - 20 min. Bike still smoking, but made the last 6 mi. w/ 2 stalls.
The bike was SMOKING and you still RODE it ????

I don't really know a nice way to say this: Are you nuts ??? :fight2:

It sounds like you might have dodged a bullet but that was NOT a good thing to do. Call the shop and have them come and get it. You could be doing major damage by continuing to ride it.

My guess is that this is not related to your carb problem......unless the dealer left a hose (or similar) loose during their service. Lets hope for something simple......like a valve cover gasket.......or a loose PCV hose. It could even be steam from the cooling system.

And, just for the record.......when your bike (or car for that matter) is smoking, blowing steam, has a strong gas odor or is running REALLY bad.......you should NOT continue to drive it. That includes most of the dashboard warning lights on a car and ALL of them on a bike (except maybe the FI light if it still runs OK).

Your gas smell was probably just left over from the previous leak. It takes a long time to go away.

Good luck !!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch. Thanks.

I was surrounded by experienced riders and when I asked them what I should do, no one said a word ... they just looked at the bike and shrugged. They all know I'm non-mech/non-tech newbie ... thought they would look out for me.

So much for thinking.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have to re-state some of first post - the bike seemed cooled off before we took off again after photo-op, and was about 8 city blocks, not 6 mi ... and the one stall was on a hill stop (operator error?) ... but the last as I was pulling in the parking deck was def. from heat (was idling, waiting on others to park).

If it is overheating from extreme group ride & city stop n go riding ... and nothing else (pcv - positive crank ventilation?), would changing to synthetic oil (to get more high heat tolerance, less thermal breakdown) and adding an oil cooler (w. fan/thermostat) help?

I truly love this little bike, but I think I am demanding a lot more than just going from point A to point B and piddling around town. I know the smaller stroke causes a lot more heat than the bigger bikes, but I don't have money for expensive mistakes nor a trade up.

Hubby is ready for me to get something bigger.

·
Super Moderator
12,786 Posts
I truly love this little bike, but I think I am demanding a lot more than just going from point A to point B and piddling around town. I know the smaller stroke causes a lot more heat than the bigger bikes, but I don't have money for expensive mistakes nor a trade up.
You are under a LOT of mis-conceptions here. NONE of the above is true.....none of it.

Your bike has developed a mechanical fault of some kind and it needs to be FIXED, not modified.

I can't imagine you doing anything in the normal course of riding that the bike wasn't designed to handle in stride.......unless something is broken and needs to be fixed.

As for somebody ELSE being ready for YOU to have a different bike........that's just crap......even if he is your spouse. :shock:

You need to get your present bike fixed and then YOU need to decide if it fits your needs or not; HE doesn't have to like it, YOU do. :bluethum:

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
First off, that was one of the most thoroughly informative help requests I've ever seen. Bravo.

Without knowing where the smoke is originating, I'm not sure where to begin. ER's right, that bike should handle the riding you describe with no problems. He's also right about telling "hubby" where to stick his opinion on the matter. He can get himself his own ego-stroker if he wants one. :)

I wonder if you don't have a lean condition due to a clog in the fuel system? That might explain the overheating.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, ER ... I just couldn't wrap my head around it not being able to keep up. It's been a champ so many times. (Seriously doubting me and my bike before I went back out to look at it.)

Clint, thanks, too.

Got some fast answers since earlier - and I AM P*. Went to check my oil, check petcock, etc.

Here's the rub:

Gas leak from carb drain screws (?) 4, leaking on cooling fins, and I smelled gas on oil fill cap. I NEVER had this problem before taking it in to have the fuel lines cleaned in March. That's when I already knew my oil was fine but needed changing, and found the fouled plug.

The dealership just p/up the bike. Less than 200 mi ago they did the carbs, replaced needles, o-rings, cleaned bowls, replaced lines, flushed system, changed oil, plugs, etc. - $633. They also said the fuel smell was from the repair they'd done and it would dissipate.

I guess the smoking was from the fuel burning off the engine, that's why it didn't really have a smell ... then whatever they did wrong or did not fix is still happening (got worse) and caused gas to get in the oil, and that's why when we were in the last leg of the ride (downtown Richmond w/ stop & go) the bike overheated. (Hey, I was overheating, too. This was my first group ride.)

Giving Hubby props - he sometimes doesn't know what I really want, but the fact he's ready to throw money at this, I guess, is his way of caring. He's the least ego guy - but knows I've been having problems with this bike since day one - back and forth to the dealership.

I am tired of bending over, btw. I need to really learn how to do stuff for myself. I am trying, guys, seriously, I am.

Thanks for all. Will let you know.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Are you saying the drain screws were left loose? That could explain the power loss, stalling and smoke. If it was running lean it could've gotten hot, too.

You should've smelled the gas, though. It wasn't "burning" off the engine or you'd have been in a fireball. It was just boiling off, which is still extremely dangerous but should've stunk to high hades.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13,238 Posts
I have to offer this bit of info - a possible leak in a radiator hose or a loose clamp.

why?

smoke (steam) that doesn't have much a smell would be best represented by water boiling off after it leaks onto the exhaust manifold.

gas would smell, oil would smell worse.

·
Premium Member
20,860 Posts
Yeah, but coolant has a pretty distinctive smell, too, especially if it's boiled or burnt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Answers: said two carb drain screws were loose (not tightened enough at carb job in March). Dripping fuel on crankcase and oil filler cap made me think gas was in the oil (smelled cap, did not dip oil - my bad).

Thinks fuel leak was the smoking. Pro'lly not good that I was riding beside a chain smoker that day, huh? :shock:

Clint, 100% right, but on Thurs. ride I didn't have loss of power, rough idle (lean) or any other symptoms - just the smoking. Stall on a cobblestone hill stop? ... hmmm ... that could've been me. Spaz factor was def in play. Did idle/stall (overheating) in parking deck, tho.

TJ, yep, air cooled.

Consensus w/ other riders: their bikes were all getting heated - they all think my bike just did it a little quicker than theirs. (Intruder, C50T, Crossbones, Springer Softail S/E ... but the HD dressers mentioned no problems (but would they? :roll:).) Svc mgr said we were in some pretty rough riding conditions (group ride through city stop n go traffic). Will plan better route, better timing, and longer stops next time.

Did some window shopping before heading to tech dept. Sat on Heritage and Deluxe ... crap, I can never remember which is which ... okey dokey ... sat on an America ... o.k., since I'm not gonna try weightlifting as a second job, I'll pass on that heavy (to me) bike ... Thunderbird? bout popped my hip out of joint ... pass .... but went totally ga-ga over a gorgeous Honda Interstate. Oh yea. Hubby knew I'd get cheered up fast.

Back to svc dept... don't think the svc mgr wants to see me and my bike anytime soon - except when I p/up later today. Sat on it one more time and, ya know, none of those others felt right.

Promising myself, my bike and ya'll ... will bail on whatever ride if anything odd like that happens again and sit there until I figger it out or get help. Pro'lly could've tightened those two screws after calling the tech guy. Still not 100% convinced about the whole thing. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks bunches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts