Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently hoping to get my first bike I rode dirtbikes when I was a kid and I know it's a lot different but I've narrowed it down to one of these two which one would you think would be better for a new rider? and what do you think is an overall better bike? Also I'm about 6,2 150 so I have some concerns is that too skinny? or will it not be a big deal thanks guys :D

·
Super Moderator
12,827 Posts
which one would you think would be better for a new rider?
Also I'm about 6,2 150 so I have some concerns is that too skinny?
I don't think either one is appropriate for a new rider.
Most macho guys think they can handle the biggest bike ever made, truth is that they CAN'T......not properly anyway.
And both of those choices are fairly expensive bikes. It would be a shame to wreck one right out of the box.

I don't understand your "too skinny" remark. YOU might be too skinny for such a big bike, to start anyway.

Please look for other threads here about "my first bike" and understand that those comments DO apply to you, whether you think they do or not.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I would not recommend either for a first bike even with dirtbike experience.
The V-Rod is a musclebike made to go fast in a straight line, same as a Vmax and a few others.
These bikes are anything but a good first bike so I'd suggest if you think you have to have one at least get yourself a cheap used UJM (Universal Japanese motorcycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) first and build some road riding skills.
Road riding and dirt riding are vastly different skill sets,having dirt experience can help you pick up road riding quicker to some extent but can also get you killed if you jump in thinking you know how to ride.
Take an MSF riding course and pick up a 500cc-650cc brand X to thrash on for a while before even considering a muscle bike or any big Harley cruiser.
Then test ride some bikes, you may find you like a Superglide or Softail or Sportster better after you ride them all or maybe you won't like any of them as well as a Triumph or Honda or BMW or something else.
Once you're licensed and have some experience test ride as many different bikes as you can so you'll have a clear picture of what really fits you and your needs, speeding big coin on a machine and ending up unhappy with it is no fun.
Just my 2cts after 40+ years in the saddle.
;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts