Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
its a fairly specialized member of harleys lineup. personally i'd rather have a dyna (which i do) for everyday riding and running around the backroads. while i think the vrod looks cool, its more of a 3rd or 4th bike kinda purchase. not something i'd recommend for a daily driver.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Harley riders are pretty traditional types, they like their Harleys to be Harleys and the V-Rod is not a traditional Harley or even close to it.
We like our big air cooled 45 deg.V-Twin single crankpin pushrod actuated OHV Harley engines just the way they are and our traditional Harley styling as well.
The Rod is a great bike in it's own right but it's just not what most H-D riders want, they want a Harley with it's DNA intact going back over 100 years to that first H-D V-Twin from 1909.
It's not the first time Harley has stepped in it with a non traditional Harley, the XLCR was a miserable failure and only produced for two years, it was a café styled Sportster that wasn't Harley enough for the H-D guys and too H-D for the café /sportbike crowd.
Now since they're rare they are quite collectable, only about 3000 made in '77 & '78 if memory serves.
Harley has invested way too much in the Rod to give up on it as easy, they didn't spend a lot on the XLCR so it got the axe in short order, wish I had one lol.:cool:

They tried again in '83 & '84 with the XR1000 trying to tap in on their flat track racing heritage but it was also a sales flop and now a collectors prize.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a fairly specialized member of harleys lineup. personally i'd rather have a dyna (which i do) for everyday riding and running around the backroads. while i think the vrod looks cool, its more of a 3rd or 4th bike kinda purchase. not something i'd recommend for a daily driver.
thanks, been considering the V-rod VS the M50 for a daily driver , my commute wont be much , about 15 miles or so on the FWY or the streets, figured with the V-rod, I would not have to do the DJ mod to the bike AFTER I learned to drive & got some actual experience with the bike. seen s few nice used ones for 6-7500 or so

·
Registered
677 Posts
thanks, been considering the V-rod VS the M50 for a daily driver , my commute wont be much , about 15 miles or so on the FWY or the streets, figured with the V-rod, I would not have to do the DJ mod to the bike AFTER I learned to drive & got some actual experience with the bike. seen s few nice used ones for 6-7500 or so
No DJ mod needed for the VROD, but I'm sure you'll spend many happy afternoons at the dealer instead of riding. Those things aren't particularly reliable from what I know of them. Service intervals are VERY short.

I've only met one guy that had one, he wasn't pleased. Said he rarely rides it, chooses his Vulcan 1500 over it most of the time. Wanted to sell it, but was gonna loose far too much money. Guess the market for them is pretty bad in these parts, much like Y2K mentioned they just aren't well liked.

Save the cash, find something else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No DJ mod needed for the VROD, but I'm sure you'll spend many happy afternoons at the dealer instead of riding. Those things aren't particularly reliable from what I know of them. Service intervals are VERY short.

I've only met one guy that had one, he wasn't pleased. Said he rarely rides it, chooses his Vulcan 1500 over it most of the time. Wanted to sell it, but was gonna loose far too much money. Guess the market for them is pretty bad in these parts, much like Y2K mentioned they just aren't well liked.

Save the cash, find something else.
thanks for the input, seems the M50 is still the top choice.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I haven't heard anything bad about a V-rod from anyone till now, maybe he got a lemon.
At any rate there is a forum you might want to check out if you still have interest in the VR.
1130cc.com: The #1 Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum

its not that the vrod is a bad bike. it just didnt handle as well as my fatbob and it isnt the most comfortable bike out there ( im sure there are aftermarket fixes). but its pretty darn quick off the line. just what i'd expect from a bike built for the 1/4 mile. as such i cant really see it for a sole bike. but its all about what you like not what some random guy on the internet says. there are folks that swear by their vrods. thats why ya rent a harley for a day or 2 before ya buy one.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
its not that the vrod is a bad bike. it just didnt handle as well as my fatbob and it isnt the most comfortable bike out there ( im sure there are aftermarket fixes). but its pretty darn quick off the line. just what i'd expect from a bike built for the 1/4 mile. as such i cant really see it for a sole bike. but its all about what you like not what some random guy on the internet says. there are folks that swear by their vrods. thats why ya rent a harley for a day or 2 before ya buy one.
Good idea.
Easy enough to hire a V Rod for the day.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
its not that the vrod is a bad bike. it just didnt handle as well as my fatbob and it isnt the most comfortable bike out there QUOTE]

I sat on one at a dealer once, instant dislike and I really wanted to like it.
I like many would like to see that engine in a sport touring chassis, as a cruiser it's top heavy, too tall and uncomfortable from what I could tell just sitting on one.
I am a bit spoiled having spent ten years with an FXRS, the lightest best handling big twin Harley ever produced.
That hand built frame designed in part by a young H-D engineer named Erik Buell was probably the best H-D ever built, it was superseded by the Dyna because it was too costly to produce and didn't look Harley enough for the typical H-D crowd of the time.
It did better than some of these other bikes (1982-1996) and was even brought back for a short time in limited production in '99 & 2000 with the 2000 year being the very last factory Harley with the Evolution engine.
Now they are coveted by a cult following of riders and the top choice for 1% club ride bikes, especially amongst the Hells Angels.

Build a fast big inch motor in one of these and you've really got something.

For those that have fat wallets there a brand new FXR with all top shelf stuff by Big Bear.
http://www.bigbearchoppers.com/titanium.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts