Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with my 05' V Star 1100 custom. I added Cobra pipes and now I'm getting a popping/backfire noise when decelerating and it sounds terrible. The bike runs great. I would appreciate any help I can get with this issue.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
There are numerous posts here about this very thing. Suggestions range from increasing the pilot jet settings to removing any pair system. All have some degree of success but rarely solve the problem totally.

Start with the pilots slowly increasing the richness of the mixture but no more than one turn I should say or you may have bogging down at low rpms. I removed the pair system on my B12 but it still did not get rid of the popping totally. It is now down to a pleasing crackle which I can live with.

Good luck

·
Registered
397 Posts
I agree 100% with Aussie Steve, some have had success with removing their "pair" or "AIS - on the V Star line", most have not. I too have the Cobra's on my '03 1100 Classic. Popping was very bad on mine. I removed the AIS which helped a little bit. I also increased my engine idle speed, which was set very low by the previous owner, why, not sure. This also helped a little bit. But, the popping is still there. I just live with it. Hop on over to the V Star section and do a search on AIS removal. You can also go to this website, ISRA (just do a google search on it), boat loads of info on the Star line here. Not to take you away from Motorcycle-Journal, stick around, lots of info here too!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
A friend of mine has 2 1100 vstars with straight pipes,both of them pop on deceleration.He just rides them with the noise,but they are older bikes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the responses and suggestions. I'm tied up with some honey do's right now but will give them a try and post the outcome.. Thanks again my friends..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a happy camper now. I just returned from a short ride, about 30 miles and found the AIS system to be the culprit. Bypassing the AIS reduced the popping and backfiring about 90/95% for a much better sound. Now that I know that worked, I'm going to remove the system just to reduce the clutter and tubing and making cleaning a little easier. Here is a great link for the removal, complete with parts needed etc. StarCruiser©: The Official Newsletter Of the International Star Riders Association . Thanks again for the replies and advise with my problem. I will return again my friends..... Dave

·
Registered
754 Posts
Why you get popping. The reason you get popping is because of the air that is added to the system via the P.A.I.R. system. This is added to help burn any unburned fuel in the exhaust system. Removing the P.A.I.R system will help but not totally elimiate it. The next thing is that all motorcycles coming from the factory are to lean, this means they run hotter. This to will ignite any unburned fuel in the exhaust pipe.

So when ever you do anything to open up an engine so it can breath better, you have to adjust the fuel system and it does not matter whether it is a carburated ir fuel injected.

You will never completely eliminate all the popping, but this will help it reduce to a minimum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
v-star 1100 owners with the popping noise out of your exaust....

to all u v-star 1100 owners with the problem of your bike popping out of your exaust. this occurs when u have either exaust upgrades or stage 1 or 2 kits installed. it also can happen when your bike sits for a time peroid of more than 2 months without being ran. alot of people say that the dealerships tell u that u have to live with it and get use to it, but thats all crap..... i am a certified tech. through yamaha and many other brands. i just fixed an 05 v-star 1100 on friday that 2 other dealers could not, with the same problem of the popping out the exaust and lacking power....this problem has to be fix accordingly to each bike as each bike is set up differently. c- foam or anyother produsts will not help this matter and as far as the marble thing!!!!! DO NOT DO THAT!!!!! the carbs need to be clean and set up right (jetted accordingly) and not to the jet kit specs either. that don't work ever.....i charge 250.00 the fix these problems. and i have had no complaints yet...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mr. Duprey1,

First of all, I am a Harley Tech and I got talked into working on a buddies Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic for his wife. If you fill you need to charge me for reliable info that will fix this problem I will submit payment. Your knowledge is valuable as is mine or any experienced tech.

I have a 2002 V Star 1100 Classic that has a fresh air pop in the front cylinder only. It has Vance & Hines pipes, no cross over and a worthless Hyper charger air filter. Recently added a carb kit for the open exhaust & removed the A.I.S. system, the front tube had a big hole in it and someone had already attempted to block of the air pump going to the A.I.S. Lines with a ball of electrical tape and a Allen head round bolt....what a joke ! I watched & read some info on the Web & this was the general recommendation. I also installed new intake boots, ran a compression test & a leak down. However, I have Not been successful in eliminating the sharp pop in the front cylinder; additionally, I can Not get the bike to idle or return to a consistent idle after revving it up. Both slides in the Mikuni carbs are burnt at the white plastic rings that secure the rubber boots to the slides but no visible holes in either of the rubber boots. FYI - any time I have burnt slides on Harley's I replace them, so I am going to order 2 new slide & spring kits for these Mikuni carbs.

There was No valve lash @ the rocker adjustment tip & valve tip on any valve; therefore I reset the lash @ recommended settings... ( .003" - .0005" @ intake & .005" - .007" @ exhaust ) this did not change my problem. After reassembly, I started the bike and still have the sharp pop from the front exhaust; I sprayed some carb cleaner at several different areas and it seemed to react when the spray was aimed at the new front boot where it meets the head. I think I will pressurize the front cylinder and spray some soapy water at it and see if I get a reaction. I may need to check the exhaust gasket also.

Your advise & recommendations will be welcome & helpful and especially if your advise works it's worth financial compensation if it solves my problem.

Respectfully,

Hungry

·
Super Moderator
12,155 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I will be deleting the second of your posts, as they seem substantially identical.

The last post in this thread prior to yours was THREE YEARS ago. The people involved might not be active anymore.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, Dallas, Texas here. I have a 06 V Star and it has the upgraded V&H pipes, Oil Filter Relo Kit and that is about it Mechanically as far as Engine Related upgrades. It has always had some popping since I bought it XMas 2017 or so; similar to what I have heard on HD scooters mainly, as well as a few other cruisers. Never really paid it much mind, given it runs good and it makes the wife giggle a bit. Well, so does revving a little at the lights and stop signs, but that's another story. Anyway, I am not really all that Mechanically inclined so I haven't screwed with the issue. It hasn't really affected her overall performance and I have not seen anything milage or otherwise to cause me real concern. When I take it in for a tune, I may see if they can look at it. But like I said, I haven't noted any riding issues from the pops here and there or as it decelerates. Now off to find a Oil Cooling Radiator Thread... Be will, Blessed Be.

·
Registered
192 Posts
what i hear is bikes are set lean from the factory to meet emission standards. popping on decell is caused when fuel is to lean to burn in the combustion chamber it collects in the exhaust and gets ignited there and pops. when you change the exhaust to an open design you hear the popping. with a stock muffler it's there but you can't hear it.. you don't need to rejet to stop the pop. open the idle mixture screws an 8th of a turn at a time till the pop goes away, this enrichens the mixture and the pop fades.

·
Super Moderator
12,155 Posts
Hi all, Dallas, Texas here. I have a 06 V Star and it has the upgraded V&H pipes,
LOUD pipes are NOT an "upgrade".
They are obnoxious and illegal.

If there are any add-on real baffles available from V&H for the pipes that might help.
Of course, putting stock pipes back on it will eliminate the "problem" altogether.....which really isn't a problem to start with.

·
Registered
109 Posts
LOUD pipes are NOT an "upgrade".
They are obnoxious and illegal.

If there are any add-on real baffles available from V&H for the pipes that might help.
Of course, putting stock pipes back on it will eliminate the "problem" altogether.....which really isn't a problem to start with.
The stock pipes cut performance because of how heavily baffled they are. Even with the stock pipes the bike pops. it just isnt heard because of the baffling. Performance suffers because of it. These bikes can not be heard on the highway with the stock pipes. Which is dangerous. And V & H pipes arent that loud. Unbaffled pipes are loud.

Furthermore in 2017 certian pipes are street legal, dot and emissions approved. Just because you dont like them doesnt mean everyone has your perspective.
Yes your information is valuable, But reinstalling factory pipes was not what he was asking. he already knows.

·
Super Moderator
12,155 Posts
These bikes can not be heard on the highway with the stock pipes. Which is dangerous.

Furthermore in 2017 certian pipes are street legal, dot and emissions approved.
Riding in a fashion so that you don't have to rely on making a lot of noise to keep you safe is a much better plan.

And that second sentence makes no sense.
VERY few after-market pipes are "street legal"......bordering on none.

And finally, ONLY changing out pipes for louder ones often really does NOT improve engine performance in the RPM ranges that most people ride.
It can, in fact, hurt performance in the low to mid RPM ranges.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts