Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Morgan CarbTune after rebuilding the carbs on my 2002 1100 V-Star Classic. I hooked up the manometer and cranked the synch screw all the way in. The 2 tubes got closer but I could never get them to synch.

The left side reads 32 cmhg and the right is between 18 and 20 cmhg. That's the best I could do before the screw bottomed out. I switched tubes on the Morgan to make sure it was working properly - it was. I even switched hoses with restrictors to make sure I didn't have a problem in one of my restrictors. I got the same readings - so the tool is reading correctly.

So I'm guessing something else is wrong with my carbs. but I have no idea what to look for.

I backed off the synch screw a few turns since all the way in didn't help. The weird thing is that my bike runs great after tuning it by ear, but the manometer indicates that it shouldn't.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
If the bike is running ok after syncing by ear I would suggest the manometer is not working correctly, it wasn't fitted correctly, or something is not right with the offending carb. I am not familiar with this type of sync tool most have multiple guages or sticks with either alcohol or mercury in them. I would check the RH carb to see if there is a slight vacuum leak this would explain the difficulty in getting the settings equal.

Start with all screws being tight then check for leaks at the boots...restricted air cleaner may be a possibility. If all else fails pull the RH carb and do the work again.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Are you saying the only thing you adjusted was the sync adjuster? If so, there is nothing wrong with your carbs, its just that the throttle cables on them are too far out of adjustment compared to each other, and the sync adjuster can not take out all the difference. Put the sync adjuster back towards the middle of its range, and adjust the throttle cables so they are closer to each other. Then use the sync adjuster to get them to match. The closer you get them, the better the bike will run at higher RPM and at wide open throttle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.