Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 2003 650. It takes forever to start. Is this bike notorious for hard starting? When I got it 2 years ago the seller said it was hard to start so he put a can of starting fluid in the carry case. He said he just had the carbs gone through at the local Yamaha seller which seems to be a well run place with a good service dept. Not some junky shop. Not knowing much I bought the bike. I rode it for the summer and it seemed to start sort of okay but not like you'd want. Finally it wouldn't start at all. Being a mechanical person I took the carbs off and cleaned them. I did all this meticulously. Put back together still no start. So I took it back to that same Yamaha shop and they charged me $300+ said they didn't do any carb cleaning but put in a new battery, adjusted the idle, and the clutch cable. It took them a little cranking but it started. I'm guessin they had it warmed up when I went to pick it up. I just went out now and after a full minute or more of cranking and firing a little it started. I just read through all the posts from a guy from 2014 who had the same problem. I figure since I took it to the shop I don't need to do anything more myself or know what to do. They seemed to be aware of the battery situation as said in the forum post What can I do? I'm now running the highest octane gas and put in some of the additive cleaner I got from the Yamaha shop. As I said is this common for the V Stars? I don't want to keep it if I have to go through this all the time.

·
Registered
253 Posts
its made to run on 87 octane, why not change the plugs drain the hi test and try 87.turn the idle up a half turn and dont touch the throttle when starting.check all vacumn lines make sure the airbox is fitted right. check the tps. throttle position sensor. how many volts at the battery when off and how many when cranking.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
All of that^ and run some carb cleaner through...I would suspect blocked idle circuits....no matter how well a carb is cleaned often these are not able to be fully cleaned unless a sonic bath or similar is used.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 2003 650. It takes forever to start. Is this bike notorious for hard starting? When I got it 2 years ago the seller said it was hard to start so he put a can of starting fluid in the carry case. He said he just had the carbs gone through at the local Yamaha seller which seems to be a well run place with a good service dept. Not some junky shop. Not knowing much I bought the bike. I rode it for the summer and it seemed to start sort of okay but not like you'd want. Finally it wouldn't start at all. Being a mechanical person I took the carbs off and cleaned them. I did all this meticulously. Put back together still no start. So I took it back to that same Yamaha shop and they charged me $300+ said they didn't do any carb cleaning but put in a new battery, adjusted the idle, and the clutch cable. It took them a little cranking but it started. I'm guessin they had it warmed up when I went to pick it up. I just went out now and after a full minute or more of cranking and firing a little it started. I just read through all the posts from a guy from 2014 who had the same problem. I figure since I took it to the shop I don't need to do anything more myself or know what to do. They seemed to be aware of the battery situation as said in the forum post What can I do? I'm now running the highest octane gas and put in some of the additive cleaner I got from the Yamaha shop. As I said is this common for the V Stars? I don't want to keep it if I have to go through this all the time.
Thx for the replies. I'll try these things.

·
Super Moderator
12,689 Posts
Choke full ON, throttle full OFF.
The best carb cleaner is Berrymans B12 Chemtool.

What, if any, mods have been done to it.....pipes or air filter intake ?
Sometimes just not having the stock air filter on it can make an amazing difference.

Does it still fire or start when using Ether starting fluid ?

There is a tiny chance that the problem is not fuel related.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the input. I think the only mod is the pipes and I don't know off hand the brand/model. I'm not real certain on the ether thing. I used it yesterday and didn't think it made a difference unless I just didn't get enough in the intakes. I was trying to get a feel for what was going on when I was starting it and it seemed like after some seconds cranking it will fire once-and do that a few times-then it kicks right in and is running normally. Does this sound like it's not getting gas somehow or that it's wanting to warm up a little? That's the impression I got. At first I put the choke full on and give it some gas (not what you say I know) then when I see its not gonna go I put the choke back in or half way-then back to full again-then it will fire once and then again and again then start right up. I'll try again with no throttle. Maybe it's touchy and I'm flooding it. Someone here suggested I go back to 87 octane gas as that's what the bike was built for. I now have super premium and the cleaner additive which also claims to boost octane- it might be Berryman's. Well the good news is apparently these bikes are not known for hard starting from what I read. So there is hope. When I had the carbs off I did carefully clean the jets by soaking them in the stuff from the auto store. Comes in a gallon can. carb cleaner. Closely inspected before reassembly. Also during reassembly I found it very difficult to get the air box on right but finally I 'think' I got it on. Because of the very tight spaces everywhere. Had to admire the engineers who built it. Had to admire myself too for being able to do the whole operation. So maybe an improper air seal? But I don't think so. I'll check the intake again.

·
Super Moderator
12,689 Posts
Doing it right is very important......so put the choke fully ON and don't touch the throttle until it fires more than one revolution.

BUT.....you might have a bad mixture of fuel right now, what with that unknown additive and all.
Fresh regular might do wonders.
Have you drained the float bowls since you got it all back together ?
If not, you should.

The starting and idle jets in a carb are very small and often overlooked.
Once you are sure you have fresh gas, then a dose of Berrymans B12 Chemtool is highly recommended.
NO, Seafoam won't do.....STP won't do......Techron won't do......details are important.

·
Registered
253 Posts
650 CC & D sorry i got off track. dont give it throttle when starting. the custom and classic have the same engine and frame. the fenders and front forks are different. custom has a bobbed rear fender. and the classic has tins on the front fork legs. silverado and classic are the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doing it right is very important......so put the choke fully ON and don't touch the throttle until it fires more than one revolution.

BUT.....you might have a bad mixture of fuel right now, what with that unknown additive and all.
Fresh regular might do wonders.
Have you drained the float bowls since you got it all back together ?
If not, you should.

The starting and idle jets in a carb are very small and often overlooked.
Once you are sure you have fresh gas, then a dose of Berrymans B12 Chemtool is highly recommended.
NO, Seafoam won't do.....STP won't do......Techron won't do......details are important.
I'll drain the bowls and put in fresh unleaded and the B12. Today I started it without any throttle and right away it was firing quite often but still had to crank for a minute before it took off. Shut it off to go in the house and came back and it started instantly. I'm coming out of my depression. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,689 Posts
Great.
I think you are on the road to recovery.

It might take 50 miles or so, over several days, for the B12 to do it's job.
Put in 2 ounces per gallon of gas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts