Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 V-Star 1100 that I bought new. I love this motorcycle.
One problem, after my most recent Oil change I started to see a leak. I thought i must have messed up during the change. I did it again. in the process I found that the leak is coming from the lower head. it "appears" to be coming from the oval cover on the fromt head right where the upper and lower portion of the head comes together.
I have the shop manual and there is no mention of this opening , or cover.
Does anyone have any advice.
Due to hunting season Yamaha is backed up for a month!

·
Registered
23 Posts
On 8-24-08 there is another thread on oil leaks. You should check that out. Some say the various covers leak from bolts getting loose and some are stripping out of the aluminum....and others have found some 1100 leaks elsewhere.....check it out, might help shead some light.

RW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate it. I have found that the opening is calles a tensioner case. What that means I don't know. I will check this out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry bout my typing, I have never participated in a group like this before. This is all new to me.
I looked at the 8/24/08 posting. that is definately not the case. the leak is either at the junction where the cylander and head come together or it is coming from the Tensioner Case (or Gasket). the leak when the bike is stationary does not even hit the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem located and fixed for the grand total of $2.12 including shipping!
There is a Tensioner Case Gasket that was cracked. I fixed it during my lunch break. Thanks for all of your help!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think my bike is doing the same thing, where'd you get the part that cheap with shipping? i found it on Bike Bandit, but they want $5+ just for shipping.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What was the process of fixing this issue?
I believe i have the same problem. Can this case be easily taken off without messing up the settings to the chain?
i ordered the gasket. just want to make sure before i do the job.
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,760 Posts
Doubt you'll get a response this is at least 5 years old...sounds like a simple fix from what the OP and others are saying...after all he fixed it during his lunch break

1 - 9 of 9 Posts