Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my 1100 v star won't turn off. If I turn the key off, and flip the button in off position my bike still keeps running. The only way to keep it from. Running is to unhook the battery. If you rehook the battery it cranks right back up. I am not sure what to do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a 1100 v-star classic, when I first bought it, it had the same problem you're having now. In my case, it was the starter relay, you'll find it under the seat. Just trace the cables from the battery, they will lead you right back to the relay. Can be the contacts are corroded and need to be cleaned up, or put in a new relay.

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
In my case, it was the starter relay, you'll find it under the seat.
Also known as the starter "solenoid" ??

If the contacts on it are welded shut, that will cause the starter to run all the time.
BUT the engine should not actually RUN if the ignition switch is OFF.
Maybe I assumed too much in the initial post.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A word from Judy. With the ignition OFF and the emergency stop switch in the NO run position, are you saying the motor is still running, as in you can rev the motor up with throttle, or does the motor keep cranking over like your trying to start it? My problem was when I shut the bike off it would keep cranking over like trying to start it, until I pulled the battery cable off. There is a plastic terminal under left (shift lever area) side cover, that over heated (melted down) or gotten wet (shorted out) could be your problem. Pull side cover, you'll see wires leading to a rubber boot, lift the boot edge up and take a look at that plastic terminal, if it looks damaged, I recommend a tech. Someone who knows what all the wires lead to and how to reconnect them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My problem is it will keep trying to crank over and over again when you turn the key off and the button in the off position. So I have to take the battery terminal off. When I hook the terminal back up it cranks right back up. So I am thinking the button is either stuck or the starter relay is gone.

·
Super Moderator
12,761 Posts
When I hook the terminal back up it cranks right back up. So I am thinking the button is either stuck or the starter relay is gone.
Yes, you likely are correct.

And the button goes through some other circuitry that depends on the ignition switch.
So that pretty much just leaves the solenoid.

Your use of the terms like "cranks right back up" makes it sound like the engine is starting......which it is not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts