Motorcycle Forum banner

V-Strom 650. Any info, opinions?

13K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  okanagan 
#1 ·
I've been riding for over 3 years (and that's a whole other story!!!!). My ride is a 250 cc scooter, from that "other" Japanese manufacturer. To be honest, I've loved it, and I love the excellent Honda dealership near my house.

I've been looking at other bikes for a long time, have always thought some day I'd move up to something with more power and a clutch. I've had the motorcycle safety course, and kept right up with the Harley and crotch rocket riders who sneered at my almost antique scooter. But, until now, I've never found a bike that seemed like it could do a variety of things well. I don't want some huge monstrosity, I don't like the seating arrangements on cruisers or sport bikes. I'm not out to impress anybody, outpace anyone, or scrape my knees on the ground on tight mountain turns. I ride, almost entirely alone, because I just love it. I commute to work (that's a topic all on its own, too), I run errands, and occasionally a shorter trip. The scooter is not something you do a lot of distance on, though it is fun and nimble in town traffic!

Yesterday, I fell in love. Scoping out web sites about the new 2004 Honda bikes - none of which meet my needs in any way, I came across info on the V-Strom 650. It was love at first sight! The more I read, the more excited I got! Okay, this will turn into a novel, so I'll try to get to the point here. I have so many questions I hardly know where to start!

1. I am a female rider - but I am tall (5'-10", with very long legs). Will this be a problem? It doesn't sound like a very tall bike. My scooter isn't, either, but it accommodates long legs easily. I read that optional seats will be availabe to raise the seat height, but none is yet shown anywhere.

2. Any ideas on the predicted reliability of the V-Strom 650? I do not work on bikes, and don't really want to. The little free time I get, I want to ride, not tinker! I'm spoiled, with an ancient, but bulletproof, scooter. I am fanatical about maintenance, but don't want a garage queen! I need durability AND dependability.

3. How long will it be before used bikes of this type become available? Will the typical rider of this type of bike take decent care of it, or will they dog it out? I live in a Navy town, and many sailors give their bikes a very hard time. How do the Suzukis do on depreciation? I'm hoping to move up on a very tight budget!

4. What kind of mods would be possible for carrying "stuff"? For commuting, I have to haul business attire, my lunch, various paperwork, etc. My current arrangement is a milk crate bungeed on the back rack of my scooter. But I'd really like dry storage, and additional security would be fantastic. I'd also like the option to possibly do some touring, or to use the bike for business travel, all without spending a fortune.

5. Does Suzuki have a Rider's Club? I've liked the Honda one, and have used the roadside assistance a couple of times. It's really good for those of us who are mechanically challenged.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I'm trying to get past my initial infatuation here, and get a few cold, hard facts to cool me down before I do something rash! I have looked so long, and was starting to think I'd never find something that I like, and that meets my needs! This is the most excited I've gotten about a bike in a long, long time! Thanks for any info anyone can provide!

See less See more
#2 ·
although my v-strom is a 1000, I can answer a few of your questions.

1) at 5'10 you should fit the vs650 fine. I am 5'9" with short legs(30" inseam) and I can handle the 1000 fine. a good point is that the v-stroms have good distance from the seat to the pegs - very easy on the knees
2) The 650 motor is basically same as the SV650 motor which has proven to be one of the most reliable engines in the industry. Many racers use the stock sv 650 for racing where it again proves durable. my 1000 has been troublefree since new and i'm approaching 20000km (12000) miles and just now need new tires - the chain is still ok
3) might be tough to find a used one although I have seen a few where big guys or people wanting to ride 2-up find the torque a bit lacking.
4) Givi in the US makes a good assortment of topcases and sidecases that fit well on the v-strom. I just bought a Kappa 48ltr case and think it's perfect. good size and it doesn't seem to upset the balace of the bike. Also, topcases don't make the bike wider like sidecases do.

check out www.advrider.com for more adv bike info
and my latest ride report is at this link
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48367
have fun researching

#3 ·
Thanks for the help!

Thanks!!!!! I have to admit that I looked longingly at the V-Strom 1000, and I don't think the height would be a problem for me at all (My pant inseam is 35 1/2 inches). But I really am not ready for anything so powerful, I doubt I ever will be. Also, I read the center of gravity is higher on the 1000, which might make it harder for me to handle. I think for me, the 1000 might be like "going hunting for squirrel with an elephant gun". I'm a really tame rider, more into the pleasure of it, than the thrill.

I also don't think there will be many used 650's, at least not for a while. But perhaps by the time I've saved toward it, there might be! I have a feeling - I hope - it will be pretty popular. But I figure some folks will move up, either to the 1000, or to a touring bike, or to a cruiser. In a pinch, I guess I could retake the MSF course, and take the advanced course, and then I'd be able to handle the 1000, if the 650 is not available. But I'd really prefer the 650, even if I have to raise the bike, or replace the seat and pegs.

I especially appreciate the advice on engine reliability! I'm not hard on brakes, tires, etc. I have garage space, and change the oil religiously. But I know my brother's BMW's (all 3 of them), while fantastic bikes, are quirky and high maintenance, no matter how they're pampered (to be fair, they are also very old). The only thing about this bike that worried me a bit was that it seems a lot more high-tech than my ancient scooter! But the ride sounds comfortable, and I really, really like the aggressive look of the bike. Maybe I'm a bit tired of getting no respect.

One article I was reading called it the "Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles". That really appealed to me! I've had one of those in my purse since I was about 12 - except not in airports, these days. Practicality, comfort, and fun, all in one manageable package. Where do I sign up?!?

The observation about side cases was also excellent. Hadn't thought of the added width. But I think I could travel decently with a good tank bag and a good-sized top case, anyway. I'm sometimes amazed at what I can pack into just a milk crate (with a net atop)! And I already have adjusted to the whole bike commuting thing, so I've learned to travel lighter than I used to. It's made me a much lower-maintenance woman, this biking thing.

Well, nothing so far to cool my jets on this bike. Maybe someone else can talk some sense into me......maybe!

#4 ·
vstrom 650

I have about 1800 miles on my first bike ... a VStrom 650. I have a Givi topcase. Use the bike for commuting, daily rider and one trip of about 950 miles in 6 days. No mechanical problems. Bike is awesome. I was hooked on the 'adventure tourer' concept and made the right decision for myself. :D

G
#7 ·
I too, am a fan of the V-Strom 650. A friend bought one a short while back, and as he was late for his child's ball game, and he was a new rider, he had me ride it the forty miles home. I like the adventure-bike styling, nice low rumble from the engine, and that little windscreen did the job quite well. (I'm 5'11") The thing is . . .

. . . I'd rather ride my scooter. :D Mind you, I'm a guy who's been riding for 35+ years, work as a Correctional Officer (lots of testosterone in the workplace :roll: ), and have owned many different motorcycles. Most of the cruiser riders did the big eye roll and snicker, before they found out that this is one killer scooter. I haven't encountered a cruiser that I couldn't beat in any road situation (including long distance), or a sport bike that I couldn't beat through the twisties. And it comes with a locking trunk!

My advice: before you actually buy that V-Strom, give the AN650K Burgman a ride. :wink:

#9 ·
wasions said:
I too, am a fan of the V-Strom 650. A friend bought one a short while back, and as he was late for his child's ball game, and he was a new rider, he had me ride it the forty miles home. I like the adventure-bike styling, nice low rumble from the engine, and that little windscreen did the job quite well. (I'm 5'11") The thing is . . .

. . . I'd rather ride my scooter. :D Mind you, I'm a guy who's been riding for 35+ years, work as a Correctional Officer (lots of testosterone in the workplace :roll: ), and have owned many different motorcycles. Most of the cruiser riders did the big eye roll and snicker, before they found out that this is one killer scooter. I haven't encountered a cruiser that I couldn't beat in any road situation (including long distance), or a sport bike that I couldn't beat through the twisties. And it comes with a locking trunk!

My advice: before you actually buy that V-Strom, give the AN650K Burgman a ride. :wink:
You are absolutely right! I have to say I have loved my scooter, and still do. When the larger scooters came out, I was so excited!!!! They are soooo expensive, though. And I've been watching to see if they'll be half as durable and reliable as my '85 has been. So far, they are looking very good. I have to admit, until a few weeks ago, I only knew about the Silverwing. The Burgman does fascinate me! I would definitely look into it before I did anything drastic. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to buy right now, anyway, so I'll have LOTS of time to think over the options!

It's nice to know there are other scooter rides out there!!!!!! I am the only one around here that I know of, not on a 50 cc and wearing some cheesy bike helmet.

I tell people the motto of us scooter riders is, "Born To Be Mild". My scooter really can be a wolf in sheep's clothing, though!!!! I can't imagine what a 650 cc must be like!!!!! :D

#11 ·
is the vs650 a first for 04? I hadn't even heard of em till I saw one in one of the motorcycle parking on campus. I was deffinatly intrigued by it. Had a styling all its on. Did seem quite large, but I guess its more of the cruiser type..... sorta?? Looked pretty cool, good luck.

#12 ·
Yes, the 650 V-Strom is new in '04, it follows the popular 1000 (I like to think of it as "the convenient Travel Size"). Its official Suzuki tag is DL 650 V-Strom.

It has a large tank, and like most of the dual purpose bikes, it sits up high, so it does look large. But if you check the specs, it's not heavy. And the seat height is lower than the 1000.

To be honest, you're ahead of me, I haven't actually seen one, though I have seen the 1000. My local dealer hasn't had one for a long time, though he can get me an '05 "soon" - whatever that means.

I have, however, found a 650 on-line not far from my home base, and struck a deal to buy it. I'm still raising the money, and making travel plans, but it looks like a done deal. I haven't said much, I didn't want to jinx the deal! But it's looking definite, as soon as I can get up there and hand over yankee dollars!

Sorry 'bout not getting the Burger. I decided I really want a clutch and gears this go-round. :wink: Maybe next bike.

I'm starting to get really excited about this! I've got riding pants ordered (first pair came, and were too small), and I've about decided to splurge on some nice gloves. My old ones are okay, but not great. And they still bleed dye on my hands.

After all the looking, and waiting, it's hard to believe I'm really going to move up. I'm a little bit scared, but figure it'll be okay once I get started. Thanks for the input, I really like this site, and the people on it.

#13 ·
Vstrom 650

I've been waffling back and forth between the yamaha fz6 and the vstrom
650 for a couple weeks now, although at this point I do think the vstrom is
a better fit for me. Being well over 6' with a 36" inseam, the leg positioning
feels just about perfect. Definitely a tall bike but it's so light that's it seems
like handling shouldn't be an issue. Right now the dealerships in my area
have them discounted by about $600 off MSRP, so it seems like an
exceptional deal. If all goes well, I should be riding one home tomorrow.
I'll let know how it goes. 8)

#14 ·
good luck to both!
no discount here :(
dealer sold out allotment including the one that I had been 'visiting' for a few weeks, although they did get one from another dealer
no more 04's available in this area
just turned over 2000 miles on my first bike, no problems except not enough time to ride
keep us informed! :D

#15 ·
Vstrom 650

I'm always amazed at how things work out. I overslept this morning and
didn't get into the dealier until later in the morning. When I arrived at the
dealer, the bike was gone from the showroom. Turns out another guy came
in to test ride it, after which he decided to buy it. Fortunately after doing a
dealer search, they were able to find another DL650 (black as opposed to
the blue one they had in the showroom), which I was able to purchase. They
gave me the same price on it of $5,999. With tax (7%) and title I was
looking at $6,500, then I added on the 4yr extended warranty for another
$500 for a total of about $7k. So if things go as planned, I should be able
to pick it up this coming Monday. I think the 2004 DL1000's were going for
around $7700 new. The ironic part is that I was actually more interested in
the black bike than the blue one, so this worked out quite well. 8)

#16 ·
v-strom 650

Well, I got the new '04 V-Strom home today around 4:30pm. Being a new rider, I waited for the rush hour traffic to pass before heading out. Lots of busy four lane streets around where I live. It's definitely going to take some time to get used to the clutch/throttle combination. I think I stopped counting after a while how many times I stalled the engine at stop signs during the first half hour of riding. Although after a couple hours of riding, the stalls were much less frequent. Way too many stop signs around here. :) In terms of shifting, I was pretty much staying between 1st and 3rd gear (pretty much all residential streets). Somehow, going 30 mph seemed plenty fast at the time. Stopping on inclines also takes some getting used to, such as keeping the break on at the stop and rolling on the throttle a bit more to get going again. On top of that, I was trying to get my wrist used the position on the throttle. Keeping your knuckles pointed mostly up (to avoid rolling on the throttle when using the front break) takes some getting used to (a little bit of cramping after the first hour or so). Things were definitely feeling smoother towards the end of the ride, although still a little jerky on the throttle at low speeds in first gear (such as turning into the driveway which is on an uphill incline).

As far as the v-strom goes, it handled exceptionally well through most of the abuse I was giving it. Definitely a light enough bike to handle well at low speeds. Also high enough that cornering and fairly sharp turns didn't pose much of a problem, such it wasn't too awkward making left or right turns from a stop or doing u-turns in a cudelsac(sp?). One thing I found interesting was riding on concrete streets with uneven joints between the sections. The bumps at 25mph were enough to impact my throttle control (probably running in 2nd gear around 3k rpms). I imagine running in 3rd probably would have lessened the impact of throttle twitches.

All in all, it was definitely a good night. Saw another couple out riding the residential streets and the wave when passing was pretty cool. Sometimes helps to know you're not the only one out there learning to ride. :)

If anyone's interested, let me know and I'll continue this thread. Or on the other hand, it you think I'm babbling too much, let me know.

Thanks, and take care.

#18 ·
No, you're doing me a huge favor, posting, it was good to read about the learning curve. I'm rusty on that, and will need to relearn.

The picture pretty much made my day. I'm lined up to pick mine up on Saturday!

BTW, mine is blue!

#19 ·
Congratulations!
I am 2000 miles and a few months away from my first ride but I remember it well. MSC was excellent training but did not prepare me for taking off on a hill. I still remember stalling bike in front of dealer. Escaping. Just when I thought I was getting the hang of it I came to a four way stop on a hill. After I killed enging the second time I looked over my shoulder and the Dodge Ram behind me looked like he was going to push me into the intersection :shock: Be careful and survive the first few 100 miles and it gets better.
Nice Bike!

#21 ·
hawkeye said:
Congratulations!
I am 2000 miles and a few months away from my first ride but I remember it well. MSC was excellent training but did not prepare me for taking off on a hill. I still remember stalling bike in front of dealer. Escaping. Just when I thought I was getting the hang of it I came to a four way stop on a hill. After I killed enging the second time I looked over my shoulder and the Dodge Ram behind me looked like he was going to push me into the intersection :shock: Be careful and survive the first few 100 miles and it gets better.
Nice Bike!
LOL! I remember the first time I drove a stick shift car on a hill, it was like that. I taught myself, so at least there was noone there to see me stalling out!

But I am golden, because I live on the southeastern coast. We have no hills here. No, really. :D

I knew there had to be a bright side to living where it's flat! By the time I get anywhere that has hills to deal with, hopefully I'll know what I'm doing! My first trip, I'll be going farther south, along the coast. Still flat as a pancake, unless you go over a bridge.

I think the thing I'm most nervous about is handling the larger, heavier bike at low speeds, and also that it will be harder to maneuver, in general. I'll just take it slowly.

#22 ·
I wouldn't be too concerned about the weight. The bike looks big, but it's actually pretty easy to handle (assuming you don't lean it more that 45 degrees when stopped). Even in 1st gear just putting around, it seems really well balanced. I just wish my throttle action was a little smoother at those speeds (I may try feathering the rear break and see if that helps).

Was on a rode called "Winding Way" this evening. While it did wind around, it was also somewhat of a roller coaster ride. I just love it when you roll up to a stop sign and your on a 30 degree incline (which doesn't flatten out until you're in the middle of the road your entering. I think I stalled about 3 times trying to figure that one out. Fortunately the traffic there is pretty low volume, which probably makes for a great place to practice stopping/starting on a hill. Definitely getting a work out on stopping/starting on the residential streets. Tonight I actually made it up to fourth gear (before having to make a stop 30 seconds later at a stop sign). :) My breaking/downshifting still needs work, just doesn't feel real comfortable yet, but definitely improving.

I was wondering how most folks downshift/break when approaching a definite stop? Do you normally break and downshift at the same time as your speed decreases? It seems like at residential speeds, you can readily break just by downshifting until you're about 10-15 feet from the stop sign, but then if there's someone behind you, they probably wouldn't have a clue that your slowing without using the break light. I guess it just takes practice as your using both hands and feet to perform the breaking/downshifting. I think several times I would just take it down to 2nd gear and then as I got close to the stop sign, pull the clutch and shift to first but keep the clutch in and then break to stop. This seemed to work relatively well.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks.

#23 ·
Do you mean downshifting and using the gears to lower your speed? I always thought you just use the brakes to slow down, downshifting back into first with the clutch in, coasting in neutral, and braking. I always assumed brake pads are cheaper than clutch repair or replacement!

However, I'll be the first to admit that almost anyone else on this site knows more about shifting and braking than I do, and I'd love to hear other input on this. Before I ride the new bike. I'd like to start out developing good habits!!!!!!

#24 ·
sparrow said:
I was wondering how most folks downshift/break when approaching a definite stop? Do you normally break and downshift at the same time as your speed decreases? It seems like at residential speeds, you can readily break just by downshifting until you're about 10-15 feet from the stop sign, but then if there's someone behind you, they probably wouldn't have a clue that your slowing without using the break light. I guess it just takes practice as your using both hands and feet to perform the breaking/downshifting. I think several times I would just take it down to 2nd gear and then as I got close to the stop sign, pull the clutch and shift to first but keep the clutch in and then break to stop. This seemed to work relatively well.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks.
...agree with your comments about the weight
...also understand your comments about downshifting: the way the bike is geared you could downshift and never use your brakes until the last few feet. The way I ride, don't know if it is correct or not, is to slow with the brakes not downshifting. eg coming up to a turn at an intersection I pull it the clutch, brakes to slow, downshift and accelerate through the turn. Coming up to a stop sign I will pull clutch and use brakes so that my lights go on and people behind me know what I am doing. I think your instinct is right about that. Only time I use downshifting to slow the bike might be coming off expressway in 6th at 70, downshifting on exit ramp to 5th then maybe 4rth.
...saw a comment somewhere that the purpose of downshifting is to get the bike ready to accelerate in a turn; brakes are used to slow before the turn
...experienced rider or moderator comments???

#25 ·
Think of the transmission as you third brake. I always used it to slow down, as well as the brakes. Without pulling in the clutch obviously. That way you do a couple things. First you are always ready to deal with a situation where you might have to accelerate out of. Second it saves your pads and keeps them from heating up too much. So you know you'll have good positive braking for when you might really need it. Especially in stop and go traffic.

Have you taken the MSF safety course?

#26 ·
Yep, went through the MSF about 8 years ago and then again a few weeks ago (highly recommended). While they teach you about downshifting and how it can be used to reduce speed, they don't really go into specifics on techniques used on the road. Such as, your traveling along a 35mph road doing 40mph in fourth or fifth gear and all of a sudden the light turns red and you need to make a relatively quick stop (such as, you thought you might be able to make it through on yellow, but then instead decide to stop). At this point, you're obviously going to apply the breaks, but does one also cycle down thru the gears taking the clutch in/out each time or do you just leave the clutch in and take it all the way down to 1st? It seems like if you had time to slow you could probably manage to cycle through the gears as your speed decreases ending up in 1st gear.

At this point, I guess I'm just sort looking for the best practices of breaking/downshifting as opposed to picking up some technique that may not be entirely safe.

Again, your comments or suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.