Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The headlight on my Marauder vibrates noticeably at speeds over 40mph or so. At highway speeds it results in a pretty eye catching flashing headlight that doesn't seem to affect how well I can see in the dark. When I ride at night I always feel like I have an ambulance or something behind me because of the way the light flickers on street signs.

I was thinking about tightening this up but I noticed that some people pay good money for headlight ocillators that seem to do just about what my vibrating headlight is doing. I've put 800 miles on the bike so far and I don't think the vibration is going to break the headlight, afterall it looks like its sitting on a rubber mount.

What do you guys think? Should I try to fix this 'problem' or should I just leave it alone?

· Squirrel Target
674 Posts
I would go over the bike and check ALL the bolts.
If other bikes of the same make don't do it, yours shouldn't either.

Checking bolt tighteness should be done as part of the 1st service, and every year or so after. They do loosen up with use.

· Registered
5,192 Posts
I agree with bat4255: fix it. I would guess that someone took the headlight off at some point and didn't tighten the bolts enough when they put it back on. The vibration will cause the headlight to die young, and the mounting bolts will suffer from lateral stress that they are not deigned for and eventually they will fail.

· Registered
646 Posts
I would have to agree with Dr. Bob, I suspect someone took the headlight off and when they reinstalled it, they probably left out a washer or two. Headlights aren't supposed to shake. Good luck.

· Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tlwisner said:
Is it just the headlight being loose or do you have a shake in the front end?
Good question. I stared at it for a little bit last night while cruising on the highway and I thought I could see the headlight virbrating a little bit in relation to my windshield which is attached to the forks and the handlebars. Also I think if the front-end in general was vibrating I'd get some sort of feel for that but the faster I go the more smooth and stable the bike feels so I'm pretty sure its just the headlight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.