Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, i have a 01 VL 1500 and im having a issue with it running, it will idle fine but when i ride it it bog downs and spits and sputters, i pulled the fuel pump and filter and don't have any cloged lines. and getting fuel to the carb. i was not able to pull the hose to the carb and see if there is a difference between idle and reved up. help please. i have spark and gaped correctly. thanks
Adam D. Coonradt

·
Super Moderator
13,153 Posts
hello all, i have a 01 VL 1500 and im having a issue with it running, it will idle fine but when i ride it it bog downs and spits and sputters,
This question is about as frequent as "what should I get for a first bike" and the answers are usually about the same too.

For ANY bike with a carb, the first thing to do is drain the float bowls and put some good carb cleaner in the gas.....and run it a bit.
Along with the fuel filter, and plugs, that is.

If it has been sitting for more than 3 months without stabilizer in the gas, you might want to drain out ALL of the old gas and start fresh with cleaner.
I think the best carb cleaner on the market is Berrymans B12 Chemtool.

Also check the air filter and exhaust. Sometime "critter" nests can clog things up.

And finally, unless your owners manual calls for it, stop using "premium" gas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts