Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've got a 2002 Suzuki Intruder with an electrical problem I think.
Most of the time it starts and runs just fine, but sometimes I have to move the key on and off a couple of times before it will start.

Today it stopped on me at a light. Started right back up but shut down whnever I tried to put it in gear... Let it sit and idle and pulled the clutch in again,,, fourth time it started and ran like it did before and I took it home.

My question is where should I start looking to isolate this problem? My first thought today was the clutch cabel, but could the two problems be related?

I thought at first the ignition switch, but there doesn't seem to be anything loose on it and it works all the lights and stuff just fine...

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
My first thought today was the clutch cabel, but could the two problems be related?
Well, clutch fluid was low, so that fixed one problem...
How can you have both a clutch cable and clutch fluid ?? :whistle:

Anyhow, we need more details. When it does not start, what exactly happens......lights dead or goes dead when you hit the start button or lights stay strong. You hear a big click......you hear the starter turning......etc.

The first thing you should check is the connections at the battery posts.
If they are loose or corroded, add a star washer and re-tighten firmly.......and clean as required.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
You should http://change the clutch fluid rather than just topping it off, so the clutch releases fully when you pull the lever in.

For the odd electrical problem, tighten the snot out of the battery cables. Intruders are notorious for this type of on and off electrical starting problem if the battery cables get even the slightest bit loose. Best thing you can do is to remove the bolts that hold the cables to the terminals, put a star type lock washer on them, then put them back on and tighten them with a socket wrench rather than a nutdriver or screwdriver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks DrBob, I put in a new battery this past Spring, so tommorrow I'll check the terminals on those.

As to the clutch, it has a hydraulic clutch system. Looks like a cable, but it's not... and I topped it off today, but later on I'll change all the fluid.
I didn't realize it was a fluid system until I tried to figure out how to adjust the cable and discovered it was a hose...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I remember reading about the battery terminal issues, but put it out of my mind because the battery is such a b*tch to get out :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was doing some preventive maintanence on my VL1500 battery terminals. Just checking to see if all was tight. I recently purchased the bike and found the terminal extremely loose. My bet is that the previous owner only used a screwdriver to tighten the bolts. NOT GOOD!

I used a socket wrench and got them tight like they should have been,

Good place to start if you are having starting issues.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
There is no fuel filter on the VS800, just a screen in the tank around the petcock. Mine was not even 5% clogged after 135,000 miles, and Suzuki does not recomment ever taking it out to clean it.

The battery is a real %%%%% to get to, but you can make your life easier if you put the back tire up on a curb or 4x4 or something like that, so the battery box bottom opens all the way and you can get under there to see what you are doing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Battery cables tight

Finally got fed up and took out the battery - cleaned the terminals, put on a start washer and hooked up a battery tender connector.

The intermittent starting problem is happening less frequenmtly but still happening, I think the issue is dirty or corroded connections.

The bike usually starts okay, but sometime I have to kinda push forward on the starter button as I press it; other times taking my weight off of the seat and back on makes it start... I'm gonna take some time to clean the connections on the safety switch for the seat, the kickstand and also take that starter button out and clean the heck out of it. I think, since it does re-start after a few tries, that the cleaning can wait for a snowy winter weekend....

In the meantime, thanks for all the help and comments.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Definately clean the starter button connections. When my last Intruder approached 100,000 miles I had to turn the guts of the switch over, as the connections were seriously worn out on one side. Also clean the connection for the clutch safety switch, which locks out the starter unless the clutch lever is pulled in. Often this will become corroded or loose- it is the little wire with two connections coming out of the clutch control box. I bypassed mine on all three of my Intruders. There is no safety switch on the seat.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
There are two wires going into the clutch safety switch at the lever, with a little two-prong connector on them. Snip the plug off, connect the two wires. Use shrink tubing to protect the connection.

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
I have a 1986 VS 700 Suzuki Intruder that keeps misfiring, any response then I will elabarate on my scooter poblems.... HELP....
You have the process a little backwards.

FIRST you tell us all the details of the problem that you can think of, including what, if anything, you have done already.
THEN we will offer advice.

We can't tell you anything useful with just "keeps misfiring".
On a 25 year old bike, it can be a LOT of things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, I have a 1997 suzuki intruder 800. It starts randomly and only in the cold. Whenever I try to start the bike it won't make a sound but after a cold night which is rare in florida, she starts right up. Can't figure this out. Anybody have a clue?

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am in Port Richey fl. I love it here alot of bikes and alot of great people. Are you familiar with Fl.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts