Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, I'm new here and just had to get in on this thread. My wife has a 93 intruder 800 and I'm about to pull my hair out with this thing!!!!!! It looked like this thread might be related to my problem. The bike starts and runs great, it will sit in my driveway and idle all day long without a problem. Once I jump on it and get down the block with it, it will start to cut out and lose spark, headlight stays on strong, just wont fire. Then just like that it will take off again. We have 2 bikes, and 2 kids, one rides with mom and one rides with dad. Right now we cant go anywhere for fear that the suzuki will leave us on the side of the road somewhere. I just finished going through all the wires, connections, and grounds. Same story, starts fine, as soon as you go down the road, it quits. My kids would appreciate any advise you folks can give their dad, they really miss riding!

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
it will start to cut out and lose spark, headlight stays on strong, just wont fire. Then just like that it will take off again.

I just finished going through all the wires, connections, and grounds.
How do you KNOW that it is losing spark, rather than losing fuel.....or air, for that matter ??
A loss of spark is usually abrupt; one second it's running strong and the next second it's completely dead.
A fuel problem usually makes it stutter some.

Did your checks include the battery terminals ? That's a known problem area for many Zuki's.
How old is the battery ?

It might act like that if it is about to run out of gas, including if the petcock is turned to OFF.

More information is needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Easy Rider, that's exactly what it's doing. Stops abruptly. Doesn't chug, spit, or sputter. It's just like you turned the key off, or hit the kill switch. When it does fire back up, it backfires out the exhaust, which tells me that fuel is loading up in the cyl and then igniting when it gets spark. Had the battery out (which is only a year old) and cleaned and tightened the terminals. What other info is needed?

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
Stops abruptly.
Well then you have the tedious task of trying to find an intermittant electrical problem.
Since we are past a bad battery connection (maybe, they can be tricky)............
The next thing I'd suggest is a side stand switch that is out of adjustment or going bad, or maybe the kill switch, or the ignition switch, or the ignition module or coil BUT do check the easy and obvious stuff first.
Have you checked the OTHER end of the main battery cables and the main fuse socket ??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, kickstand switch removed and bypassed, I've had every elec. connector apart and inspected them and put dielectric grease on them all, had the other end of the batt cables off and reinstalled, checked my grounds, swapped the ign. module with another off of a known running bike that was parted out, replaced fuel relay, had kill switch apart, cleaned and greased contacts. I guess until I started reading posts on this forum I was unaware of the "batt post issue". I will pull the batt and put star washers on and tighten them down well. I put the bike up on the lift, took off the seats and tank, and stripped all electrical tape, and cable ties so I could gain access to all the wires. I start the bike and let it idle and start tugging, pulling, and stretching every wire I can find, and cant get it to kill. I put it back together and cant make it to the end of the block without it dying. After I deal with the battery again I will report back.

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
I put it back together and cant make it to the end of the block without it dying. After I deal with the battery again I will report back.
Have you done anything to check the fuel flow?
It is still possible that you are running out of gas.

It is also possible that the battery is going open internally when the vibration increases.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are two wires going into the clutch safety switch at the lever, with a little two-prong connector on them. Snip the plug off, connect the two wires. Use shrink tubing to protect the connection.
Hello,I was wanting to know if I do this how does the horn and high beams? Do you have a photo of it? I appreciate your help.

·
Super Moderator
12,534 Posts
Dr. Bob is not with us any more.

If you do it correctly it will not affect anything else.

But it will make it possible to start it IN GEAR........so it is a bit of a safety hazard and would be much better to fix the switch.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts