Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to find a fuel pump guru, cause I'm stumped on this one. When turning the key to "On" without hitting Starter Button yet, was getting a pronounced "clunk" from the fuel pump. Turn key "On", one clunk. Bike fired right up and could be ridden, but am still doing some work on it, so only rode it briefly and stayed local. Anyways, figured something was up and tested both the fuel pump and fuel pump relay as per the OEM Manual instructions. Instead of paying $240 to BikeBandit for their fuel pump, got the exact same one off eBay, new for $70. Also sprung for a new fuel pump relay for good measure, but am pretty certain the original is still good, so have got a spare relay, but the main concern is the new fuel pump.

Installed the new fuel pump and fuel pump relay. Turned key to "On", no clunk. Bike fired right up no prob, but after a few minutes, could hear this faint "clicking" sound from the fuel pump. While at idle, the clicks are maybe 2 seconds between clicks and unless I crouch down near the fuel pump, the clicks aren't really noticeable.

Contacted the seller to ask for his opinion for my own peace of mind. He said that it should click a few times during fire-up, but should be silent once the bike was "fully on". I get no clicks during fire-up, but repeated clicks with the bike running. Another interesting thing is that with the bike still idling, if I turn the petcock to "Off", the clicking gets faster immediately and is constantly repetitive. Turn petcock back "On", clicks immediately go back to the 2 second interval. Am guessing that this may be related to the fuel pump sensing a change in pressure and may be normal ?

Mentioned this to the seller but got no reply. What I'm trying to determine is whether or not these faint clicks are normal or not. Thoughts ?

·
Registered
6,766 Posts
A fuel pump should make only the slightest noise. Any abnormal noise would indicate a problem IMO. Is this an OEM pump or a aftermarkret one? Does the old pump not work any more and if they are identical perhaps dismantling the old one may indicate what is wrong with the new one. I would be asking for a replacement if possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Keep these 3 parameters in mind before buying a fuel pump.

Fuel pressure is a significant factor during gas pump purchasing, for many reasons. First off, because fuel stress increases, gas volume declines --bear this in mind should you set an affordable, high-performance pump ranked"at zero strain " Yes, fuel pumps have distinct flow evaluations at several pressures. While 10 percent reduction is not the end of the planet, it could make a difference on your pump alternative. On carbohydrate had automobiles, running an excessive amount of fuel pressure can lead to bowl flood issues, that you clearly do not desire.

Rotor/vane pump designs utilize a round casing having a rotor and bizarre with vanes. Those vanes push out on the home, pushing gas in the inlet to the outlet. They are somewhat noisier, but they are fantastic for supplying a great deal of gas at a reduced pressure.

Quality materials can include anodized or billet, which keeps the pump looking great for years.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx very much for the responses, Guys. The fuel pump I bought would technically be considered aftermarket, but it's the exact same component as the original. Only difference is that the OEM orginal has modified the screw holding the 1/2 moon cover on top so that it can't be opened. New one has the screw intact normally. Once I get this all sorted out, will cut open the original to see what the internals are like, but I don't want to open up the one I just bought. Was hoping that the clicking was normal and that I could just run with it, but now it makes sense to just send it back for replacement.

Took some readings yesterday to compare old vs. new. On the old one, there was that clunk noise that showed up, but yes, it was still working. Question is how much longer before it decided to go south entirely. Using a fluke meter on the old one, when I hold the Red lead to the Yellow/Green wire and Black lead to the Black/White wire, it reads 10.78 "k ohms". If I reverse the Red & Black leads, it still reads the same. On the new one, Red lead to Y/G, Black lead to B/W, it reads 9.67 "M ohms", if I reverse the leads on the new one, there's no reading. Electrical isn't my strong point, but am guessing there's a polarity issue with the old one and due to the clicking on the new one, it may be a mechanical issue inside that one ? From your description, is the clicking sound the result of the rotor/vanes hitting against the side of the fuel pump body ?

I enjoy learning and studying about whatever I might be working on, but bottom line, it's probably best to ask for a replacement and hope that does the trick.

·
Registered
6,766 Posts
I have no idea what measurements you should be getting. The pump should not click as that would indicate something inside hitting something as it turns....maybe a vane in the pump body....equally it could be the electric motor. As you say your best bet is to try for a replacement...it may be as simple as a loose bit of plastic left over from manufacture.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not to worry on the measurements, was just mentioning it as I find resistance in 2 directions on the old one and only 1 direction on the new one. OEM manual lists the measurement as supposed to be between 1 - 2 ohms. When I was testing according to the OEM manual and the Haynes manual, it appears that both manuals might be in error. Never got readings anywhere's near what the manuals say and was left scratching my head. No matter, really.

The important thing is that you guys have given me solid input to work with and that's very much appreciated. Rather than chance running with the new one as is, will play it safe and request an exchange. It does sound like something's hitting inside there and don't want to tempt fate in having it go south on me. Thanx again, I value your experience and advice.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check this out - Just wanted to share some very cool news. I contacted the seller and explained what I'd learned here and asked if I could exchange the fuel pump rather than request a refund. Got a reply from him today and he's sending me another one and told me that I didn't even have to return the faulty one! That's some EXCELLENT Customer Service right there. Want to thank Aussie Steve & CarFun 563 again for your assistance with this. For anyone interested, the eBay seller is "erz-performance" and his business card says www.fuelpumpfactory.com (I hope it's O.K. to post that link) Due to his generosity, I'm obviously more than willing to refer him as someone to feel confident in doing business with.

·
Super Moderator
12,237 Posts
Got a reply from him today and he's sending me another one and told me that I didn't even have to return the faulty one!
This might NOT be the good news that you think it is.
This might indicate that his products are not worth the price of shipping.

I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx, Easy Rider. Of course, you're right in that anything's possible. I should know here soon once it arrives *fingers crossed* Hopefully a good sign is that the seller has over 30,000 sales and a feedback rating of 99.2% Have done a lot of catch-up maintenance and required repairs on the motor, just want to get this machine back on the road soon. Very close, maybe 2 days' work once this fuel pump issue is sorted out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick follow-up..........Replacement fuel pump arrived today, installed it, no clicking, good to go! YES!.........Onwards & upweirds......LOL!

·
Registered
6,766 Posts
Pull the old ones apart you may be able to make one good one out of them as a spare...also find out what the annoying clicking was, get some experience and have a job to keep you busy on cold winter nights...:mrgreen:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like a plan, Steve. Before installing the replacement yesterday, gave all 3 fuel pumps a quick shake. Original & new one were silent, the one that had been clicking does have a slight rattle inside, so maybe something broken or loose in there. Have a million irons in the fire, so will have to put that on the to-do list for a rainy day.

Once this Intruder is done, have 2 more projects that I have to prioritize. Time to pull the motor on the Triumph chop and do a complete teardown/rebuild. Also have a 450 Rebel bobber that stopped due to electrical failure. Will probably start a thread on the Reb later on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts