Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike leaks fuel from a small tube on carbs turning over or running..does anyone know exactly what this tube indicates when spewing fuel so I can get to the root of this issue..
Vehicle Automotive tire Electric blue Rim Automotive exterior

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Float level incorrect, leaking float needle/seat or sunken float would be my guess. If there is a ring around the float needle tip then its time for a new one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for feedback Aussie
I'm thinking the same but I wanted to know exactly where that tube is draining from
I'm assuming it's the top of the float bowl but can't seem to find it on any diagrams

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
That pipe appears to feed down the side but looks like it is outside of the float bowl. Can you take a clearer pic....say from above and does the pipe attach to a linkage....I looked online at an exploded view of a carb for your model ....will try to attach the url....https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/.....but it is unclear what that part is or does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Aussie
Would take a better picture but it's not My carbs.... it's outside the bowl in a casting..not sure where it opens into..couldn't find it in any diagrams either...if it doesn't open into the bowl where is so much fuel coming from to be squirting out...bit of a friggin conundrum lol...guess my main thought is if it's coming from somewhere on the carbs I have no choice but to pull the carbs..dammit lol was hoping for an easier fix
Appreciate your letting me bounce this off you and convince myself the carbs need to come off
My bike is at my sons so soon as I get the chance to dig in and investigate I'll keep you updated..
Cheers bud

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That pipe appears to feed down the side but looks like it is outside of the float bowl. Can you take a clearer pic....say from above and does the pipe attach to a linkage....I looked online at an exploded view of a carb for your model ....will try to attach the url....https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/.....but it is unclear what that part is or does.
Hey Aussie
Thought I'd give you an update on my fuel leak/starting problem...went to my sons on Saturday to accept the carb removal reality but we both had a couple last ditch ideas to try...he had read that sometimes a quick blast of air in that small tube can free up the floats if stuck..no luck with that lol..l wanted to give one more try at hitting the bottom of the carbs to jar floats free..this time I found a hard plastic drift in my tool box and gave each side a few good whacks and friggin presto lol...tried starting one more time and the Beast came alive I looked at my sons face as he was watching the tube for fuel and long story short I'm a happy dude and riding again thankfully without having to remove carbs....it'll stick with me forever lol
Thanks again for your feedback and giving me time to think...ps I take from this that the small fuel tube in question must go up to the top of the bowl for specifically as a witness drain fir a stuck float ...
Cheers bud

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Aussie
Thought I'd give you an update on my fuel leak/starting problem...went to my sons on Saturday to accept the carb removal reality but we both had a couple last ditch ideas to try...he had read that sometimes a quick blast of air in that small tube can free up the floats if stuck..no luck with that lol..l wanted to give one more try at hitting the bottom of the carbs to jar floats free..this time I found a hard plastic drift in my tool box and gave each side a few good whacks and friggin presto lol...tried starting one more time and the Beast came alive I looked at my sons face as he was watching the tube for fuel and long story short I'm a happy dude and riding again thankfully without having to remove carbs....it'll stick with me forever lol
Thanks again for your feedback and giving me time to think...ps I take from this that the small fuel tube in question must go up to the top of the bowl for specifically as a witness drain fir a stuck float ...
Cheers bud

·
Super Moderator
13,783 Posts
Hey Aussie
Thought I'd give you an update on my fuel leak/starting problem...
This actually is the second time you have posted that exact same message.

If you haven't already, you now need to give it a healthy dose of a good carb cleaner in the next couple of gas fillups.
That does NOT mean Seafoam.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
I always used to run a carb/EFI cleaner through my bikes every few months or miles....never had any fueling problems afterwards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I always used to run a carb/EFI cleaner through my bikes every few months or miles....never had any fueling problems afterwards.
Thanks bud
Just glad to be riding again..lol
My bud told me about Shell and Esso mid grade doesn't have ethanol in it...have done some research and that seems to be a big deal for storage...
Cheers bud

1 - 11 of 11 Posts